Strange things found in the forest

/ Strange things found in the forest #11  
I have an old bus in the forest on my property in which the previous family had lived before they built the house. In there I found a Neil Sedaka 45rpm record, a wooden home made surfboard, a Mickey Mouse bedside lamp, a possum living in one of the bench seats and a snake's head preserved in a block of clear plastic. Oh and a nearly new Rubick's cube still in it's box.

/ Strange things found in the forest #12  
Spend most of my time hunting in a tree stand with a bow. Last year decide to go out and walk some with the 12 gauge during shotgun season. Came across a 50-51 Studebaker pretty much intact, a lot of rust and not much left of the interior. First Studebaker I've ever seen in person. The round grill emblem was pretty cool.

Last edited:
   / Strange things found in the forest #13  
In 1953 we had just moved 'out into the country', I was 7 and just full of the adventuring spirit. I went for a walk and about 5 miles from the house, in the bush I found an old log cabin. I found out later this particular cabin was the cabin used in the original Hawkeye and the Last of the Mohicans TV show.
The area is all built up with subdivisions now and long gone.

/ Strange things found in the forest #14  
In the '60s while rabbit hunting with my Dad, we found an old liquor still. He knew about those. Anyway, our prize was a great aluminum funnel, which I still have and use often. I've never seen a funnel like this one. It has a 4" spout on bottom and is like a bowl where you pour liquid in. Love that thing!!

/ Strange things found in the forest #15  
While working at the Healy ranch in Carr canyon ( I was about 14 ) found 2 deer sculls with locked antlers.
Carr canyon boxes up, it was rumored that outlaws had hid out there, long ago. Rode down from the head of canyon & sure enough there was an old camp site. What I remember best was an old trunk, & mostly just trash. No hidden loot.

/ Strange things found in the forest #16  
In the '60s while rabbit hunting with my Dad, we found an old liquor still. He knew about those. Anyway, our prize was a great aluminum funnel, which I still have and use often. I've never seen a funnel like this one. It has a 4" spout on bottom and is like a bowl where you pour liquid in. Love that thing!!

Still cap? I always heard aluminum wouldn't hold up to alcohol vapors

/ Strange things found in the forest #17  
Not really in the woods, but....

When I was a kid we lived in Germany from '68-'72. We lived in an old 3 family house (one apartment on each floor) with an annex occupied by an old German couple and the old man's sister. There was an orchard adjacent to the house and a large garden across the street. The whole property was owned by a hotel and the orchard and the gardens provided food for the hotel dining room. The old man (in his early 60's at the time) had been a foot soldier during the war. His wife (Frau Eckhart) had her arm amputated due to war related injuries.

The orchard was not really mowed so my brother and I used to play soldier out there - crawling around on our hands and knees, etc. We would often come across things like old buttons and belt buckles. One day we came across a bunch of old machine gun bullets. We gathered up a couple of handfuls of them and were very proud of ourselves as we came back into the yard out of the orchard. Frau Eckhart was doing something in the yard and saw what we had. To say that she was excited was an understatement!! She started talking a mile a minute in German, pointing to her stump which was waving around!! She made us put the bullets down and kept us clear of them until our dad came home. He ended up taking them to the Security Police on base where they were disposed of.

/ Strange things found in the forest #18  
Found a fairly large pot plantation in Oregon one time... hair on the back of the neck moment for sure.

/ Strange things found in the forest #20  
Years ago I was walking through the woods on our farm and found a Remington 870 minus the barrel, leaning against a tree. It hadn't been there long at all since the metal showed no signs of rust, but nobody in the family knew of anyone that had been hunting the place that year. The two neighbors didn't know anything about it.

That one is puzzling...

I could see loosing the shotgun by placing it against a tree, walking off a short distance and then not finding the spot again. But that does not explain the missing barrel. Why remove the barrel? It takes a bit of knowledge to remove the barrel so not just anyone did it. Very odd....

Was the shotgun loaded?

It kinda implies that the person did not want the weapon used so the took the barrel because that was the easiest thing to hide on their person. Odd....

Later,
Dan