Joist hanger screws?

/ Joist hanger screws? #1  

countrybumpkin

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti, kubota
Anyone used the screws they have out designed for metal connectors? I'm just about to start my loft build in my shop and trying to decide if I want to use them or stay with nails that are a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
   / Joist hanger screws? #2  
I've moved to screws. Easier to modify or repair, and you don't come back years later and find many of them now out 1/4 inch due to expansion and contraction of the wood.

More expensive but worth it to me, but I'm not building a house where they would be a huge expense.

You do need to use the screws designed for the connectors, no something like drywall screws.

Bruce

/ Joist hanger screws? #3  
I would not use screws unless they are specifically designed for that type of use. Most screws are not designed to be
used in a shear load design such as hangars. I only use the hangar nails.... they are designed to handle that shear load . Can't say i have ever seen hangar screws....let us know if you do find them.

/ Joist hanger screws? #4  
I much prefer screws over nails. They hold better and longer. You can suck two pieces of wood tighter with screws than you ever could with nails. IMHO

/ Joist hanger screws? #6  
didn't know they had screws for hangers, I would like that better. thanks for the info.

/ Joist hanger screws? #7  
I like the screws Simpson has out for their joist hangers a lot better then the nails. Like already mentioned, they are easier to install, and really nice if you ever have to adjust or move anything.

/ Joist hanger screws?
Thanks, I just ran across the Simpson brand and been reading , looks like Home Depot has them in at least 100 count for about 12 dollars, a lot better than the usp brand of 50 count for 10 dollars.

/ Joist hanger screws? #9  
I still use the nails, but then I have a positive placement nailer made for hangers and straps. Even easier than screws

/ Joist hanger screws? #10  
With a lot of hanger's using 12 or so fastener's per hanger, I could not imagine the time and cost over using an (air - strip nail) joist hanger nailer.