Terrible road noise / cabin noise in new 2016 GMC truck

/ Terrible road noise / cabin noise in new 2016 GMC truck #11  
A bit of work but you could swap tires with the 2005 and eliminate or confirm tires as the problem.

/ Terrible road noise / cabin noise in new 2016 GMC truck #12  
My son has a 2016 3500 long box 4 dr. crew cab diesel and it's whisper quite in the cab. Maybe the tires mine is an 08 and the winter tires I use are a little noisy but no unbearable at least my wife hasn't complained yet.

/ Terrible road noise / cabin noise in new 2016 GMC truck #13  
Thanks so much for your replies. I'm losing sleep over this because this new truck is replacing a 2001 Chevy just like it (2500 HD Crew cab, long bed, 4x4 vinyl floor) in addition, I have an identical 2005 at my business. I want to think that I'm just imagining things, but the sound coming through the firewall just fills up my ears while driving. It's definitely worse than my other 2 much older trucks. It sounds to me that this sound is coming from the contact of the tire on the road (drivers side tire) does not seem to change with engine RPM. I suppose I cannot rule out exhaust problem. It is a low pitch roar. I'm open to any and all suggestions. I'm fearful that the dealership will not hear it like I do, or will not have a fix for it if they do.

Yeah, try not to get an ulcer. I know the feeling. I have a hard time buying anything nice and new because if there is anything wrong, or I do something stupid and damage it, I make myself nuts thinking about it. I really can't handle owning anything too nice....

If it's tire noise, that could be an easy fix. It's possible there is a problem with one of the tires, or they are just loud tires. One thing you could try is mount two tires off one of your older trucks if they are the right size to fit, and then see if that makes a difference.

I don't know how the 2500 work trucks are, but my Sierra 1500 is super super quiet. It's an SLE model, about mid-grade, but has great noise insulation, with lined wheel wells. There is very little road noise. It's impressive how quiet and smooth it is.

/ Terrible road noise / cabin noise in new 2016 GMC truck #14  
I've found that the tires on my P/U will make decidedly different noise based upon the highway road surface. See if this is your situation. The county roads around here are McAdam surfaced and the freeways are ultra smooth asphalt. The diff in noise produced by the tires on these two surfaces in noticable & the volume is also a considerable difference.

/ Terrible road noise / cabin noise in new 2016 GMC truck #15  
You didn't mention what engine, if it's the Duramax there was a TSB for a leaking exhaust down pipe that could be the issue. Not sure if it carried over to 2016 either.
My 2015 2500HD DM LTZ is unbelievably quiet inside, I'd have to think there is a issue with yours even if it's a WT model.

/ Terrible road noise / cabin noise in new 2016 GMC truck #16  
My thought would be to have the tires checked for alignment and balance. My '14 1500 is the most quiet out of the three cars in our family. I do know some folks over on a gm forum I am a member of have had issues with road noise and the stock tire/balance/alignment from the factory. I understand the worry though - I've been pretty picky and anxious whenever I have purchased a vehicle.

I don't know what comes stock on the 2500's but this might be an opportunity to grab a different set of tires that look and work better for your needs.

/ Terrible road noise / cabin noise in new 2016 GMC truck #17  
I just picked up a 2015 GMC 2500 4x4 double cab WT with standard bed, nice and quiet, no issues. It is quieter than my 2005 GMC 1500. I would take your truck back to the dealer, have them check out the truck. While at the dealer, I would also test drive another similar truck with the same, and or, different tires.

/ Terrible road noise / cabin noise in new 2016 GMC truck #18  
The wife's 2015 crew cab Sieera is whisper quiet . Iirc there is an active noise cancelling system that uses the sound system ?

/ Terrible road noise / cabin noise in new 2016 GMC truck #19  
I think it has a lot to do with the WT Trucks, they are pretty bare bones. My 14 Crew Cab 1500 LTZ is nice and quiet. But that is a lot different truck than a 16 2500 WT. My 12 1500 WT is pretty quiet with the vinyl floor.

/ Terrible road noise / cabin noise in new 2016 GMC truck #20  
I'm with you: road noise is fatiguing and rubs my tinnitus the wrong way. Driveline noises are hard to pinpoint as the noise travels along the frame and into the cab.

Most road noise comes from three sources:

1) Through the glass from wind/mirror noise.
2) Engine/driveline/transmission noise through the firewall and floor.
3) Noise from the tires.

To help you diagnose the noise, think about the three primary noise sources and consider road speed, gear, load, and engine speed. Your observations will help you zero in on the noise. If you hear a drone, consider adding a resonator to the end of your exhaust. OEMs are starting to think like twenty-year-olds and increasing engine noise because they think it sounds cool. This is a dumb idea and the primary reason I will not buy a Dodge because they have too much road noise.

Consider how each of the three primary types of road noise can be addressed:

Wind noise through the glass can only be fixed with higher trim levels of trucks. Merecedes are jokingly referred to as "lead-sleds" because the window glass they use is thick and heavy to reduce wind noise.

Products like sound matting can be installed under the carpet and on the firewall to reduce engine and driveline noise.

And I'm partial to Michelin LTX truck tires due to their quiet ride and good all season performance.