Amazon delivery problems using USPS

/ Amazon delivery problems using USPS #1  

buckeyefarmer

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4 BX23
So far this week, 2 packages that amazon says were delivered to me by USPS were not received. Didn't get the tracking number for the first one, as it was unavailable once I clicked on the "Did Not Receive" button. They sent me a replacement for that one, received today. Another package listed as received today did not appear. This time I recorded the tracking number, entered it at USPS, and it says they delivered it to another town, another zip code. My correct address is on the amazon order. Will have to call USPS tomorrow to see what's going on. Anyone else having problems?

/ Amazon delivery problems using USPS #2  
Not so sure it's just Amazon. I think its the USPS.
In Sept. I ordered a 22" LED Light bar for my tractor through Ebay. I followed the tracking number. It was ordered on Sept. 20th Sunday and shipped on the 21st. It was supposed to be delivered in 6 days so I figured the 28th or 29th at the latest. I had not received as of Oct. 5th and the tracking number showed no further status between the 28th and the 5th. I was going to check with the USPS on the 6th and have them put a trace on it but had to work late and didn't get there. When I got home that evening the package was there. Wife said that someone from the USPS delivered it personally (after normal daily delivery) with an apology. Seems my package was delivered to a different town with a different zip to a different named person even though my name and address was on the box. The person who received it thought it was his because he gets packages all the time so he opened it. Once open he knew it wasn't his and boxed it back up and took it back to the USPS showing them my name and address on the box.
It took 14 days to get to me.

/ Amazon delivery problems using USPS
I also believe it is USPS messing up, but there is no way to report this back to Amazon.

/ Amazon delivery problems using USPS #4  
For a while here Amazon had an arrangement where they would ship it FEDEX, then FEDEX would give it to the local post office and they would deliver it. Had some fancy marketing name. All it did was add 2 days to the delivery time. Since everything I order is Amazon Prime that was a PITA. I complained vigorously to Amazon on their email contact address giving several specific examples. I got good human-written replies. Haven't had that FEDEX to USPS arrangement for more than a year. I think they do pay attention, I am sure they got similar feedback from many.

/ Amazon delivery problems using USPS #5  
I think they call the Fedex-USPS thing something like "Fedex Smartpost" (or similar - not sure how applicable that name is....)

We've ordered stuff from Amazon for years, and most of the time, I have no idea how it's coming. Sometimes USPS, sometimes UPS, sometimes Fedex. We've even had Fedex deliver some Amazon items on a Sunday (when I asked the driver if this was normal, he said it wasn't but they were so far behind they were working on Sunday - and that wasn't even the holiday season).

I'm not wild about the smartpost option, because like the poster mentioned above, it usually adds at least a day or two to delivery. Our rural route carrier doesn't deliver packages that don't fit in our mail box, so we just get a card in the mail saying we have a package at the post office. By the time we get home to get the card, the post office is closed.

I just like to think of it from this perspective - I ordered something from a website - it comes from hundreds of miles away, sometimes more, and in a week or two it shows up at my house or in my town - and then I complain when it takes an extra day. In reality, this is kind of a First-World problem...but it's a big deal to me, because it's still my problem!

Good luck and take care.

/ Amazon delivery problems using USPS #6  
I guaran-dang-tee it's the USPS. I HATE when anybody ships stuff via "smartpost". I can bet the ranch that it won't be within 4-5 days of the "expected delivery date".

It's especially aggravating to me because I live right across the street from the post office and I watch the FEDEX or UPS truck drop off packages for me that I won't be able to get until the next day.

It's the combination of entities that does it I think. There are delays on both ends: From shipper to USPS to UPS and then from UPS to USPS to me. I get a "your package has been shipped " email on Monday and when I check the tracking number two days later it still says "label has been created". Has no bearing whatever on actual shipping date. Seriously annoying.

I get stuff USPS Priority Mail (usually flat rate boxes) in a timely manner, and anything direct from UPS is almost always on time. FEDEX is less dependable locally, but still better than Stupidpost.

Still, living out here in the puckerbrush (25 miles from a town big enough to support a McDonalds...) Amazon and UPS are my favorite people! I'll deal with a little impatience and aggravation to avoid driving 120 miles round trip to hit Best Buy or whomever.

/ Amazon delivery problems using USPS #7  
My thinking that the delivery delays are a combination of problems. Most FedEx routes are franchise arrangements. Many franchise owners use equipment that is totally worn out. Breakdowns cause a lot of those delays.

UPS trucks are also generally worn out. Yeah, they LOOK good, but just think about all that stopping and starting... my truck wouldn't hold up to that for sure.

USPS is so short handed that they usually can't even keep up the work load during non-holiday times. Its strange that they just can't seem to understand that most of us don't really need delivery 6 days per week, and for one, I sure don't need all of the garbage mail that they deliver.

"SmartPost" simply adds a couple of days to every delivery. I'm still wondering who ever dreamed that there was anything SMART about that system.

I believe that Amazon does ship within Prime orders within two days. That doesn't mean Delivery within two days though.

/ Amazon delivery problems using USPS #8  
My Prime orders almost always arrive in two days, occasionally the next day. I had one a while back that was 3 days and got an email from Amazon to apologize for the delay.

The Fedex StupidPost stuff is an entirely different matter!! It is generally about a week longer than regular mail. It seems to take about 3-4 days to get to the local Fedex office, another day to get to USPS, and sits there another two days before the USPS will deliver it. USPS priority mail is usually about one day longer than what the post office says it will be.

/ Amazon delivery problems using USPS #9  
On a brighter side they are going to offer alcohol delivery in New York

/ Amazon delivery problems using USPS #10  
I had two packages delivered to my neighbor about 1/2 mi away. then the mail carrier got it right. She drove with two wheels off of the drive way coming up a hill the day after we got 2" of rain. All were Amazon packages but the problem was USPS. I also had to complain because I had miss-delivered mail in our box at least once a week. Ed