LED Garage Lights

/ LED Garage Lights #1  

sherpa

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 NH TC33D & 2014 NH Boomer 24
Has anyone installed LED lights in their garage? I was thinking about changing out my old humming Flourescent lights for some new LED lights?
Sherpa

/ LED Garage Lights #2  
My Son got me one for my garage that equals 300w equivalent. Works great. No more waiting for warm ups.

/ LED Garage Lights #3  
I just put 6,need two more,in a 50'x30' pole barn,and love them. Could get by with the 6,but one corner is a little dim. I have no problem working on anything with the light they put out.

/ LED Garage Lights #4  
I've used PAR LED units (75w equiv.) outside, they work well. Some of that style are rated for moisture exposure, some aren't - for certain outside fixtures, that spec probably matters more than what brand you buy.

LED lighting has matured well..... lots of choices now, low power consumption, and good light output and quality.

Rgds, D.

/ LED Garage Lights #5  
I got cree leds in the house.

When the flourescents die in my shop, I am likely not going with tube type anything.

Rather round work boxes, porcelain (or plastic) lamp holder, and a cree 60w equivalent led.

Each light would be about $7-$8.

/ LED Garage Lights #6  
been several threads about LED lighting. I'm using LED shop lights in my garage, basement and barn. You can also get LED replacement tubes that install in existing 4' fixtures, I'm using a couple of those also to try them, work great.

/ LED Garage Lights #7  
I just replaced 6 single tube T12 fixtures (240 watts) with 2 2 tube LEDs (76 watts) and the area is significantly brighter. Got them from Costco, about $68 to the delivered to the house.

/ LED Garage Lights #8  
The costco LED shop lights about $10 less than a yr ago.

/ LED Garage Lights #9  
I got cree leds in the house.

When the flourescents die in my shop, I am likely not going with tube type anything.

Rather round work boxes, porcelain (or plastic) lamp holder, and a cree 60w equivalent led.

Each light would be about $7-$8.

Problem with the porcelain/plastic bulb holders is that they have no reflector (the painted white backing in a fluorescent troffer does a lot), lens, or diffuser and they are jammed up against the ceiling (often unpainted drywall or just framing in workshops, garages, basements, etc). I have upgraded several porcelain holders to a basic fixture with a reflector and diffuser, and it makes way more light from the same bulbs. Made me realize how lousy a bare bulb is when it's stuck right next to the ceiling. I think even if you could put a white painted board a few feet around the porcelain bulb holder it would have to help. A fixture with a diffuser or frosted globe would help even more.

/ LED Garage Lights #10  
I replaced my 4' florescents with Cree 100 watt equivalent lights. They're not cheep, about $25 each here in Canada but they put out a lot more light than a double 4' florescent. 1600 vs 1200 lumens. The bulbs are available at Home Depot. No more hum or waiting for the lights to warm up plus they use a lot less power.