Heat from a fireplace insert?

/ Heat from a fireplace insert? #1  

JFoy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
Our present house has a fireplace that has never worked well as the chimney was constructed wrong. We were originally thinking of a wood stove but given how far it will stick out into the room, we're not so sure about that. Now we're thinking of a fireplace insert. For us, it's purpose would be an occasional scenic fire plus heat backup for the few winter days when the ice takes down the power lines. Either way, we'd have to get the chimney reworked and fortunately, we have some brick masons in the family. I know a regular fireplace is grossly inefficient compared to a wood stove, but what about a fireplace insert? Will the insert be any better than just the fireplace itself?

Thanks,
JFoy

/ Heat from a fireplace insert? #2  
One of the air tight insert fireplaces with fans would definetly provide heat. You may be able to use a flexible chimney insert. Check out codes you have to meet.

/ Heat from a fireplace insert? #3  
Our present house has a fireplace that has never worked well as the chimney was constructed wrong. We were originally thinking of a wood stove but given how far it will stick out into the room, we're not so sure about that. Now we're thinking of a fireplace insert. For us, it's purpose would be an occasional scenic fire plus heat backup for the few winter days when the ice takes down the power lines. Either way, we'd have to get the chimney reworked and fortunately, we have some brick masons in the family. I know a regular fireplace is grossly inefficient compared to a wood stove, but what about a fireplace insert? Will the insert be any better than just the fireplace itself?

Thanks,
JFoy
My buddy uses a quadrafire insert with a SS liner in a traditional stone fireplace. Heats like a beast!

/ Heat from a fireplace insert? #4  
There are decent 'high efficiency' fireplace inserts starting about $2000. Check them out to make sure the fan/forced air is not too noisy before you buy. We have one running off propane with a variable fan and hooked up to a thermostat. It feels very weird just to walk over and turn on the fire but got used to it. Now I am not even burning wood inside any more. Thinking of putting a wood burning stove in the shop just for old times sake. Now I end up giving away all the wood I cut down.

/ Heat from a fireplace insert? #5  
There are decent 'high efficiency' fireplace inserts starting about $2000. Check them out to make sure the fan/forced air is not too noisy before you buy. We have one running off propane with a variable fan and hooked up to a thermostat. It feels very weird just to walk over and turn on the fire but got used to it. Now I am not even burning wood inside any more. Thinking of putting a wood burning stove in the shop just for old times sake. Now I end up giving away all the wood I cut down.
We went with a propane unit on our new house and I think it would heat the living area if it had to. My dad was a big wood fan but even he said you get heat by cutting it, splitting it, stacking it, burning it, cleaning out the ashes and finally vacuuming up the mess you make. Nice to hit that "button" for instant heat. Our fan is adjustable and while I could deal with the increased noise from a higher speed and increased heat output, my wife doesn't like it so we "compromised" and keep it low.

/ Heat from a fireplace insert? #6  
Inserts are quite efficient. Much more so than an open fireplace. You can use the fan or not.

/ Heat from a fireplace insert? #7  

Thanks,
JFoy

Years ago, my parents put in a fireplace insert. The first time they loaded it up like you would a fireplace. A few hours later, we had to open windows to let the place cool down. I think it was a Buck Stove insert if my memory serves me correct. It was WAY more efficient than just the fireplace.

/ Heat from a fireplace insert? #8  
We have an Xtec fireplace insert. I had a screen made for the front so I can burn a log or two for ambiance, although 3 sticks of wood will heat the living room right up. It's nice to be able to shut the door and not worry about fire danger, sparks, etc.
The biggest problem I have it is too efficient. It really has to be 40 or below to use it or it makes the house too warm.

/ Heat from a fireplace insert? #9  
We have an insert that heats almost our entire home. You want to make sure it has combustion air intakes from outside the home so that your combustion air is pulled from outside air and not using heat from your home. They will be way more efficient than an open fireplace. Also - ours is a see through to the outside so we can load and clean from either inside or outside the home. Without the ability to load and clean from the outside I think I would agree with a few others and strongly consider gas if its only for occasional use. I love burning real wood but wouldn't want to deal with the mess inside the house if we didn't have the see-through option.

/ Heat from a fireplace insert? #10  
Inserts can be very good. Ours is rated 100,000 BTU/hr, and it's only middle of the line. There are others, especially european designs, that are even better. None of the inserts are as good as a stove, but they are way way better than an open masonry fireplace.