Cost to Survey 80 Acres

/ Cost to Survey 80 Acres #1  

EdwardB

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4410
I am looking at an 80 acre parcel (two square 40's) to purchase. I was quoted $1,650 to survey the property. Scope of work:

Tie into the necessary section corners in order to calculate the boundary.
Set ス iron rods with my survey caps or verify existing irons at the boundary corners.
Raise the boundary corners with 4 foot wooden lath and flagging.
Mark the west boundary line with 4 foot wooden lath and flagging spacing approximately every 100-200 feet (I will make sure they are intervisible).
Place a few 4 foot wooden lath with flagging along the north and east boundary lines.
Provide you a certified survey showing the results of the survey.

I have attached a photo. This seems quite reasonable to me. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Land.jpg
    Land.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 291
   / Cost to Survey 80 Acres #2  
That sounds reasonable. Out this way I would expect it to be north of $2500.00... If you think about it, many of the local engineers have at one point or another surveyed land multiple times, for different owners. All of this is stored on a hard drive somewhere and they still charge full freight to the next guy who is in line.

/ Cost to Survey 80 Acres #3  
Would cost 3X that, minimum, here. I was quoted $3K to survey 5 acres by a guy who had field notes on 3 of 4 sides of my lot from 5 years prior.

/ Cost to Survey 80 Acres #4  
The cost depends on when the last survey was done and difficulty of access.
Here I was quoted $1,100 for a survey due to the nearest last survey was 1/2 mile away.
Your quote does not seem that far out of line.

/ Cost to Survey 80 Acres #5  
The cost depends on when the last survey was done and difficulty of access.
Here I was quoted $1,100 for a survey due to the nearest last survey was 1/2 mile away.
Your quote does not seem that far out of line.

Cost varies greatly by zipcode. see my post above.

/ Cost to Survey 80 Acres #6  
I paid $1000.00 for 10 acres and it had the corners marked. At least I have the peace of mind to know they were accurate. A neighbor of mine (#1) bought his house and found out it was built over the property line. Good thing the other neighbor (#2) was willing to swap an acre so his house (#1) is now on his own property. :thumbsup:

/ Cost to Survey 80 Acres #7  
I paid 5k to do 15.5 acres here in NE Ohio. Corners pegged and markers every 150 feet.

/ Cost to Survey 80 Acres #8  
I'm just a slacker Missourian. Why would the buyer pay for a survey if it's in question???

/ Cost to Survey 80 Acres #9  
A surveyor told me acres didn't matter. It would cost $900 per point (corner, etc) that was marked.

Bruce

/ Cost to Survey 80 Acres #10  
I'm just a slacker Missourian. Why would the buyer pay for a survey if it's in question???

Depends on where the property and the local laws. In Texas your property is either part of an legally incorporated area (such as sub-division or in a city limits) or in an unincorporated zone (i.e. rural area). If you are in an unincorporated area, you have to have a boundary survey for a transfer of title.