Inherited a New Hobby

/ Inherited a New Hobby #11  
Read, read, read ... and downplay data from reloading manuals that have been updated (for new pills/powders, etc). Don't buy a darn thing until you fully understand what you have already. Expect to use <10% of it >90% of the time and vice versa. Rather than save money, expect to spend more in the long run but with experience show your stuff as being worth the effort.

10+ year member at AmmoGuide.com and LoadData.com. Both are pay sites, neither is just a bunch of load recipes. AG has a forum that lately is a much better place to ask than to just search. What paying members can access (esp at AG) cannot be described but is remarkable in depth. (eg; rechambering guide/tool) and an unsurpassed DB of detail info on more calibers than most ever knew existed. LoadData has more articles, but both provide caliber or powder-specific searches, etc.

Also recommend Cast Boolits, 6mmBR/AS, and GBO for good info but know the questions you ask and understand answers in the context of prior experience (where more IS better). Not shooting others' reloads & not trying recipes without starting 10% reduced are among the most basic safety precautions.

Don't expect things to go easily only to find out they are not. Expect things to be somewhat tricky and learn as you go just which details require the most care/precision and thus become 'easier' as you indulge. Take particular note of such as the "blue dot" warning to avoid reduced charges with certain powders or combos. Don't try to be inventive, consistency/accuracy (by o'all quality) will put more game on the table than equaling or besting factory load 'performance'.

For the most part, presses and dies are presses and dies so don't just start buying more gear. Like any tools, it's mastery of the details that leads to safe satisfaction. I usually suggest starting with .45LC, 44Mag, or .38Spl to practice sizing and case prep. (accurate measuring to ~.001" a must)

btw, my faves to reload are .44Mag, .22Hornet, .223, 8 x 57, 9.3 x 57, .338-06, and .30 RAR, none comparable to factory loads in velocity/power but tweaked for accuracy in my guns. What cals are you starting with?

/ Inherited a New Hobby
Congrats;reloading is great fun.I would purchase some "new" reloading manuals,lots of new powders and bullets available.I hope he left you some supplies also,powder/primers.

Well, I've been blessed with a lot of "inventory" and tools. Some of which I am still figuring out but it looks like his primary work was 12 ga. shotshells and .45 cartridges. The shotshells he loaded on a Herters 72M and the 45's on a Herters Model 81. There are some other dies for 30-30 and .300 too.

I shoot more shotgun than rifle but I have a .30-06 too. The Marlin casting tool is for a .38 but haven't found any dies for that yet. I have maybe a 1/2 bushel of shotshells, a large bag of wads, a few dozen CCI primers, a nice beam scale, and oodles of lead shot. Grandpa was a Trap Shooter and also shot a 22 in competition. His leather shooting jacket must weigh 20 pounds.

Have purchased a Lyman Shotshell reloading book and been digging for Herters paperwork. Found everything except info on how to change the shot and powder throws on the reloader of the model 72. From the listing of a Herters loader for sale on ebay I've learned there are washers in the loader to change the amount of powder and shot thrown. Haven't seen different washers in my collection yet.

Jeff

/ Inherited a New Hobby
Read, read, read ... and downplay data from reloading manuals that have been updated (for new pills/powders, etc). Don't buy a darn thing until you fully understand what you have already. Expect to use <10% of it >90% of the time and vice versa. Rather than save money, expect to spend more in the long run but with experience show your stuff as being worth the effort.

Like all my other hobbies, it is more for enjoyment than saving money. :D

For the most part, presses and dies are presses and dies so don't just start buying more gear. Like any tools, it's mastery of the details that leads to safe satisfaction. I usually suggest starting with .45LC, 44Mag, or .38Spl to practice sizing and case prep. (accurate measuring to ~.001" a must)

btw, my faves to reload are .44Mag, .22Hornet, .223, 8 x 57, 9.3 x 57, .338-06, and .30 RAR, none comparable to factory loads in velocity/power but tweaked for accuracy in my guns. What cals are you starting with?

Looks like I have the most materials for starting with 12 ga. shotshells but later planning on brass in 38 and 40, with maybe some 30-06.

/ Inherited a New Hobby
Here is a casting tool that came with the tools from Grandpa. The mold part is easy to understand but there are a lot of other holes too. Anyone ever seen something like this and know what all the openings and tools do?

Marlin Casting Tool - Copy.JPG

Some Bullseye powder
Hercules Powder - Copy.JPG

A picture of the powder and shot dispenser on top of the loader
IMG_0225 - Copy.JPG

A picture of the shotshell reloader
IMG_0220 - Copy.JPG

/ Inherited a New Hobby #15  
Man that is one antique of a reloading press. I suppose it gets the job done though. A more modern one would be much easier to use I think.

/ Inherited a New Hobby
Man that is one antique of a reloading press. I suppose it gets the job done though. A more modern one would be much easier to use I think.

We'll soon find out if it will still get the job done. If I had to buy a new press it would not be as worthwhile of a hobby to me. Too expensive to get started from scratch. Besides, a new one wouldn't have as much sentimental value. :cool2:

Sent from my iPhone 2.0 using TractorByNet

Last edited:
   / Inherited a New Hobby #17  
IMHO, the "Reloading" sub-forum on the Ruger.net forum (Reloading - Ruger Forum) is one of the better sources of info. Of course, it IS a public internet forum, so don't use any recipes without independent verification with published manufacturer's data from the powder manufacturer or a reloading manual.

- Jay

/ Inherited a New Hobby
IMHO, the "Reloading" sub-forum on the Ruger.net forum (Reloading - Ruger Forum) is one of the better sources of info. Of course, it IS a public internet forum, so don't use any recipes without independent verification with published manufacturer's data from the powder manufacturer or a reloading manual. - Jay

Thank you for the referral Jay. Since I have three Rugers it makes good sense to join. Like the others said, finding the time to read all that info is going to be the difficult part. 😜

/ Inherited a New Hobby #19  
Don't take reloading lightly. You need to pay strict attention to what you're doing or you can create a dangerous situation and/or load. Wrong components or load data and little or too much powder as well as changing the bullet seating depth can make ammo unsafe.

When I reload, I don't have anything else going on that can create distractions.

/ Inherited a New Hobby
Very wise words. Thank you for reminding me of Grandpas admonition.