Is there something wrong with me?

/ Is there something wrong with me? #1  

arpt209

Bronze Member
Tractor
1155 Massey
When I arrived home yesterday I was informed that three people had walked down our driveway and one started taking pictures of the other two standing in our driveway using our yard as a backdrop. We live 20 miles from town. Our driveway fronts on a state highway. The driveway wasn't posted yesterday. Am I wrong to think it rude of people to just come in, stand just short of the house & start snapping pictures? It was frosty & the trees were beautiful; but what happened to respect for personal property? Am I being overly isolationist, unfriendly, paranoid? Am I acting aristocratically to protect my privacy because I happen to own rural property? Just curious to see if others would find the situation offensive or feel that it's okay as long as the strangers didn't steal or break something and I don't get burgled in the next few days. Other than posting the new "NO TRESPASSING" signs I have no intention of doing anything else. It just bugs me.

/ Is there something wrong with me? #2  
I wouldn't care for that either..... If I were home, I think I'd have a walk down the drive with something showing in my hands.....Heck, I don't even like crossing my neighbors field to get to the creek bottom for some target practice even though I have permission. I don't get what's up with people these days......

/ Is there something wrong with me? #3  
I've had similar instances with people taking photos on my property without asking. Last spring, a guy knocked on my door and handed me a copy of a photo he had taken around Christmas time of the snow and lights on the house and such. I just find it odd that they feel they have the right to do so. During the summer my dog was going crazy barking. I looked out in my back yard and a guy was out there with a camera set up on a tripod taking photos. I think he was taking photos of planes passing on their way to the airport. He was oblivious to all the barking.

/ Is there something wrong with me? #4  
Regardless of their intent, it's private property and they have no 'right' or privilege to be there without your express permission. I may be cynical of people's intent but society has created that in me. They have less and less respect every day.

Sent from my iPhone 2.0 using TractorByNet

/ Is there something wrong with me? #5  
I built a house in the middle of the woods with nothing around it, for the simple purpose of avoiding people. You have every right to be annoyed. I work in the city and hate every bit of it. The last thing I want to deal with upon arriving home is someone who doesn't belong there.

/ Is there something wrong with me? #6  
I built a house in the middle of the woods with nothing around it, for the simple purpose of avoiding people. You have every right to be annoyed. I work in the city and hate every bit of it. The last thing I want to deal with upon arriving home is someone who doesn't belong there.

Man, I could co-author your book. :D We share the same feelings and story.

/ Is there something wrong with me? #7  
Regardless of their intent, it's private property and they have no 'right' or privilege to be there without your express permission. I may be cynical of people's intent but society has created that in me. They have less and less respect every day.

I am the same way. I assume that their intent is nefarious until they show me that it is not. My time as a law enforcement officer instilled that in me. I also have noticed that many in society seem to believe that they have the right to go anywhere and do anything on others property without a second thought. I generally politely ask these people their intent and why they are here. I have a plan for them if they wish to show me harm. Most do not. Only a couple have. The majority of people in the world are good, however many people are brainless, and thoughtless. Only a few are cunning and evil. Yes I said evil. They exist, and sooner or later you will encounter them. It is wise to be prepared.

/ Is there something wrong with me? #8  
........ Yes I said evil. They exist, and sooner or later you will encounter them. It is wise to be prepared.

And being prepared also means staying at least 21 ft away..... A person can cover 21 ft by the time you draw..... Had a VERY close encounter with a drunken ex-neighbor one night last year......... They still live next to us, but we don't even look at each other any more...... He has 2 felonies and a couple of Class A misdemeanors against him now.......

/ Is there something wrong with me? #9  
I agree. I live in a well traveled street at the back of our neighborhood. I have spent a lot of time and dollars putting in layers of screening types of trees and shrubs and fences to protect my privacy. Occasionally someone enters my property and the dogs go crazy. I always check the yard when the dogs bark and if someone is out there I go investigate. Usually it is just a kid or a family coming to visit our animals. I always make sure that anyone entering my property knows that I am always aware of what's going on. I'm fine with the visits but the picture taking would tick me off.

/ Is there something wrong with me? #10  
That would irritate me as well. Lots of folks these days seem to think they are entitled to do what they want,where they want and when they want. The correct thing to do would be to ask permission to take pictures. I guess to some that is to much to expect.