How to deter coyotes

/ How to deter coyotes #1  

El Wood

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3320
I recently became the owner of a couple mini goats. I built them a sturdy 30 x 40 x 6 pen to spend their time in.

As time has passed, I've tried to think of some more ideas to better fortify the pen against coyotes. We have them in southeast Michigan but I wouldn't call them a huge nuisance here.

Has anyone here ever had a coyote jump/climb a 6 foot fence? Have you ever had one kill one of your goats, sheep, etc?

I'm thinking of adding barbed wire or a hot wire on top.

image-2781436031.jpg

/ How to deter coyotes #2  
Coyotes will try to tunnel.

/ How to deter coyotes #3  
I don't know about coyotes, but I have seen a German Shepard jump a woven wire fence flat footed...the fence was around my garden. I suspect a coyote could do the same. I understand there is a device on the market that repels predators; an infra red light that makes predators like coyotes think another predator is there and thus will leave. Can't vouch for the product, but I talked to a guy who said it keeps predators away from his chickens.

/ How to deter coyotes #4  
Coyotes will try to tunnel.

Yep^, foxes are even worse for tunnels.

Coyotes get smart fast so my preferred method is 7.62, past 200m they usually don't care if you're around.

Last edited:
   / How to deter coyotes #5  
I recently became the owner of a couple mini goats. I built them a sturdy 30 x 40 x 6 pen to spend their time in.

As time has passed, I've tried to think of some more ideas to better fortify the pen against coyotes. We have them in southeast Michigan but I wouldn't call them a huge nuisance here.

Has anyone here ever had a coyote jump/climb a 6 foot fence? Have you ever had one kill one of your goats, sheep, etc?

I'm thinking of adding barbed wire or a hot wire on top.

View attachment 456450

coyote can easilly climb or jump a 5' fence.. if hungry a 6' might just take more time.

and yes.. for sure they ( a group easilly ) can take down mini horses or goats/sheep, without a doubt.

deterrent? I'd say 22-250, 222rem, 218 bee. depends on what range you are shooting at, your backdrop, proximity to neighbors, their tolerance for noise from gunshots, and the amount of cover.

/ How to deter coyotes #6  
6 foot wall:

Bruce

/ How to deter coyotes #7  
Yep^, foxes are even worse for tunnels.

Coyotes get smart fast so my preferred method is 7.62, past 200m they usually don't care if you'er around.

exactly..

/ How to deter coyotes #8  
I've lost one calf to coyotes, but wouldn't call them a huge problem. Free roaming dogs are a much bigger issue. A single strand of hotwire about 6 off the ground, on 8 stand-offs will keep most canine out. There's never a guarantee however. If you're going to have livestock, you'll eventually have dead stock.

/ How to deter coyotes #9  
Get a donkey, yotes will stay clear, or a 7.62 LOL

/ How to deter coyotes #10  
.22 Magnum or .22Hornet to 100yd easy. Nuisance trapping is also allowed in many areas outside of regular hunting/trapping seasons. (livestock/pet predation) Passive restraints are often just another challenge to the wily 'yote. (Having set 'hot wires' at 6", 12", 18", and 24" above ground and not keeping 'coons out of the sweet corn, I question whether they would deter much else.)

btw, We're doing much better trapping fox this year but will reset snares for coyote tomorrow, now that we have good snow to find/set their runs. (MI canine snaring season thru' Feb)

Also, I had to laugh when a friend said he wanted to shoot vs trap coyotes in our nabe. "Whaddya got for firepower?", I ask. "Shotgun", he replies. Here in MI's 'shotgun zone' we are only limited to SGs & pistol calibers during the firearm deer season and NOT for predator hunting the rest of the year. (common sense applies, of course) I'm anxious to try out a new Stag 6 and a Stevens 200, both in .223.