calving season started

/ calving season started #1  

Soggy Bottom Outdoors

Gold Member
Tractor
2013 john deere 5075E and others
Calving season started for us Saturday with two bull(steer) calves born just a few hours apart. Out of some first calf heifers I'd bought. Calved with no problems. Bred to low BW Angus bull, both weighed 70-75 lb their mothers around 1400 plus. Good weather, lows near 30 highs 50's. A lot better than last year. I'm hoping they will weigh 750 by mid November. How is it going for the rest of ya'll?

/ calving season started #2  
Good to hear your off to a good start. You started calving Saturday and I removed my bull from the herd for the year. My cows will be calving September 9-December 6 this year.

Keep us updated.

/ calving season started #3  
That IS a good start. Going to neighbors today to help "muck out" his calving pens. He's expecting right around 45 new calves in a week or so. This cool wx we are having will help keep the fly problems down. Good luck to all.

/ calving season started #4  
Had 2 neighbor's cows on our property yesterday... ticks me off a little bit but then they both had calves... called the owner and told them that the cows can hang out or they could come get them if they thought the calves crossing the creek might be too much for them. Pretty neat...
View attachment 458857

/ calving season started #5  
Had our first calf yesterday. No problems-just 23 more to go (hopefully). These are older cows so we didn't expect any issues.

/ calving season started #7  
Wow! That smell as I back bladed the pens WAS strong. The neighbor reminded me - "That's just the smell of money".

/ calving season started #8  
If the AI would have worked I'd be seeing a calf any day. Looks like the bull did the job and I still have a couple months.:mad:
I'm just getting my property and haying ability working for me, so I hope to add a few more cows to my herd of 1. :laughing:
I'm praying I don't have problem with calving since this will be her first.

Last edited:
   / calving season started #9  
What kind of AI did you use? Synchronization or Heat Detect?

/ calving season started #10  
Synchronization.
It was hard because she was in a pen by herself. I was going off the way she was reacting to the bull next door. I didn't want him breeding her, he was way to big for her being a heifer. The guy doing the AI felt good about her taking, but I put her in with a small bull a few weeks later just to make sure. Glad I did.