Water Tank

/ Water Tank #1  

Pirate

Gold Member
I am on city water. I have a tiny 7 gallon pressure tank on the line. Will adding a large (120 gal) pressure tank provide me with 100 gallons (or so) of water if the city water is off? The tank would be in the basement. Looking for just a little back up for when the water goes out, which seems to be often.

/ Water Tank #3  
I am on city water. I have a tiny 7 gallon pressure tank on the line. Will adding a large (120 gal) pressure tank provide me with 100 gallons (or so) of water if the city water is off? The tank would be in the basement. Looking for just a little back up for when the water goes out, which seems to be often.
City water goes out? I thought that was gravity. But beyond that, if the tank is filled I wonder how much water you can get without incoming pressure...even on a private well system the tank requires that I think...will be interesting to see somebody that knows (I don't!).

/ Water Tank #4  
Wow... I would have thought city water would be pretty reliable. I never experienced that when I used to be on city water for my first 40 years. I sure do like being on my own well and paying only for the pump electricity and no water bills.

/ Water Tank
We are at the end of the water system and live way up on a hill. When everything is working right, we have great pressure. However, any minor leak down at the road, we notice it right away. The feeder line down our road is 2" and seems to have leaks all the time. Now when my neighbor or I call and tell them we have low pressure, they don't even bother to test us at the road, they automatically just start looking for leaks somewhere. Just thought it would be nice to have a backup of 50 gals or so but don't want it separate from the system so the water stays fresh. Thought about my own well but my average monthly bill is around $35, it's good clean water, and a well was quoted around 8-10K, minimum.

/ Water Tank #6  
Put it in the attic and you don't need pressure.

/ Water Tank #7  
Put it in the attic and you don't need pressure.
The old high rises in NYC still use the roof-top water tanks...gravity provides the pressure!

/ Water Tank #8  
We are at the end of the water system and live way up on a hill. When everything is working right, we have great pressure. However, any minor leak down at the road, we notice it right away. The feeder line down our road is 2" and seems to have leaks all the time. Now when my neighbor or I call and tell them we have low pressure, they don't even bother to test us at the road, they automatically just start looking for leaks somewhere. Just thought it would be nice to have a backup of 50 gals or so but don't want it separate from the system so the water stays fresh. Thought about my own well but my average monthly bill is around $35, it's good clean water, and a well was quoted around 8-10K, minimum.
Interesting...wonder if there is a "booster" pump that would kick in when the city pressure goes out. Well cost...probably about right if you are on a hill (we only drilled to 55 ft here and I think all in it was $6k...goes up quick depending on how much casing you need to get to bedrock plus a lot of permits and stuff and other costs now.

/ Water Tank #10  
.433 PSI PER FOOT
A lot of factors involved there but the principle works. Guess the "in" is at the top and the "out" is on the bottom to ensure the water stays fresh.