Printer is online thru Ethernet Security Issue

/ Printer is online thru Ethernet Security Issue #1  

bjr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma JM354
I need to know if there some kind of security issue by having my Hp inkjet Or (office jet) printer hooked in with the Ethernet connection? I hope I asked this question correctly and on the right forum. Thanks bjr
PS I run thru a router then thru a switch then to the printer. Thought I'd better describe my LAN a little better. bjr

/ Printer is online thru Ethernet Security Issue #2  
I need to know if there some kind of security issue by having my Hp inkjet Or (office jet) printer hooked in with the Ethernet connection? I hope I asked this question correctly and on the right forum. Thanks bjr
PS I run thru a router then thru a switch then to the printer. Thought I'd better describe my LAN a little better. bjr

I don't see any problem.

/ Printer is online thru Ethernet Security Issue #3  
Ha! I read the thread title, rolled my eyes and fully expected to report a 'live streaming' SPAM. :)

/ Printer is online thru Ethernet Security Issue #4  
My printer is connected thru Ethernet and I've never had security issues. Issues getting the thing to print - yes!! But not security.

/ Printer is online thru Ethernet Security Issue #5  

In the scenario you just described your security is your router and the worst case scenario security risk would be that somebody could print to your printer if they were able to physically connect to your LAN. If that is a big concern, just power down your printer when you don't need it ;) The most secure computer device in the world is the one that is unplugged from the wall.

/ Printer is online thru Ethernet Security Issue #6  
I just purchased a new printer;an Epson and it's hooked up wireless thru a router.Seems to work fine but it copies in PDF format and I can't get it to print.PDF have always been a problem even with my old Lexmark printer.I get forms for my business from the STATE and they are PDF's and I can't print them.
I have looked at PDF conversion programs but a little leery about down-loading anything.

/ Printer is online thru Ethernet Security Issue #7  
Foxit Reader is a good freebe PDF program that includes a PDF printer device and some limited editing capability.

/ Printer is online thru Ethernet Security Issue #8  
I just purchased a new printer;an Epson and it's hooked up wireless thru a router.Seems to work fine but it copies in PDF format and I can't get it to print.PDF have always been a problem even with my old Lexmark printer.I get forms for my business from the STATE and they are PDF's and I can't print them.
I have looked at PDF conversion programs but a little leery about down-loading anything.

PDF is based on PostScript and that is an Adobe product, download directly from an Adobe ftp site and you will have no problem.

… you can't really convert PostScript, it's a program language.

/ Printer is online thru Ethernet Security Issue #9  
Be careful. Someone might hack into your system and print something !

paul

/ Printer is online thru Ethernet Security Issue #10  
Foxit Reader is a good freebe PDF program that includes a PDF printer device and some limited editing capability.
Much thanks;Foxit was the answer worked perfect.I had spent hours and hours trying to find a way to convert PDF files;again thank-you