Anchoring a bronze plaque in the ground

/ Anchoring a bronze plaque in the ground #1  

RobA

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HST
A friend's horse retired at our farm and, after 3 years, the horse colicked and died and we buried it in the middle of the pasture. The owner had a nice 14" x 6" bronze memorial plaque made and we wanted to place it on the burial site. I thought about setting it in concrete to be flush with the ground but since the back of the plaque is smooth I'm concerned it won't stay put.

Any thoughts on how best to do this? It will need to stand up to horses, mowers, tractor etc.

/ Anchoring a bronze plaque in the ground #2  
check with the maintenance guys at your local cemetery. The place where my Mom & Dad are, they have only flat markers so groundskeeping is easier.
My Mom & Dad's marker is bronze affixed to a granite slab, but I'm not sure how it is affixed.

Pete

/ Anchoring a bronze plaque in the ground #3  
Are you sure you want something like that in your pasture? If it was me, and I felt the need to do something, I would attach it to a fence post.

If you are dead set on putting something in your pasture that other animals might trip over, slip on or figure out some way to get hurt on, I would probably put a few screws or lag bolts into the back of it and anchor it in a bed of concrete that goes down a few feet. Probably dig the hole with my post hole digger at least two feet down so it never comes back up again. Maybe drive some rebar into the bottom of the hole for extra insurance since it's got such a great chance of working itself loose over time and creating a hazard for animals or your mower.

/ Anchoring a bronze plaque in the ground #4  
I honestly think "out in the pasture" at ground level - you're just looking for trouble. Either mount it on a special fence post or set a heavy post out in the pasture and mount it on that. I think a special post on the fence line would be the ideal place to mount the plaque.

Remember - its a memorial to a special horse, not so much to mark the exact burial spot.

/ Anchoring a bronze plaque in the ground #5  
I agree with Eddie and oosik... but may have a compromise: a scratching post (round fencing post) with the marker/plaque on top. Heck, the plaque would act as a post cap.

It'll also act as a reminder that you'll need to 'top up' the gravesite from time to time as the hole contents settle.

/ Anchoring a bronze plaque in the ground #6  
I agree, horses tend to find ways to hurt themselves, You don't want your marker to be remembered as the place one horse was buried and another was injured and had to be put down. Ed

/ Anchoring a bronze plaque in the ground #7  
I go with the first suggestion of Eddie and oosik. Keep it out of the field. Not only will it interfere with the management of the field, there will be problems later whatever method is used to have it on the actual site - and those problems could be very expensive depending on how much damage is done to either animal or machinery. Did you know you were going to be presented with this plaque before you chose the burial spot?

I have never seen this before in my travels, but in Portugal it is common for plaques, memorials, or just renewed flowers to be placed along the roadside close to where people have been killed in motor accidents. These are not on the actual spot where the people were killed, but a nearby convenient position. I would say that the same is appropriate for a horse or other animal if the need is felt to have a reminder.

/ Anchoring a bronze plaque in the ground
Did you know you were going to be presented with this plaque before you chose the burial spot?
The horse was buried where she was put down by the vet. Seemed like a convenient place and we didn't have to move a 1,000 pound animal around.

I had no idea the plaque was coming. I may reconsider putting it in the ground. The owner is open to suggestions.

/ Anchoring a bronze plaque in the ground #9  
The horse was buried where she was put down by the vet. Seemed like a convenient place and we didn't have to move a 1,000 pound animal around.

I had no idea the plaque was coming. I may reconsider putting it in the ground. The owner is open to suggestions.

I would suggest that the owner would really like the plaque where he or she could see it often. Like over in the corner of their yard. Ed

/ Anchoring a bronze plaque in the ground #10  
RobA, I was hoping that would be your reply. It tells us all that you have done everything that could be asked of you - and more. You had the horse killed because it was essential. You treated the carcass with compassion and then the late owner, who had charged you with its responsibility for 3 years, gives you a problem. I do not think he can ask anything more of you.

What you do with the plaque is your decision. It is unfair that you have to make it, but the general consensus of those who have responded to your request for suggestions is that you do not have to put it on the grave.