Gold Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT335
we purchased a squirrel proof bird feeder a couple of years ago, and it
has been quite effective, until this little fellow last week showed up
last week.

105256.JPG 105023.JPG

Fun to watch though! I'm waiting for an opportunity to capture a photo
of him in the feeder with one or more birds on the outer cage.

/ Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders?? #2  
The most squirrel-proof feeder is an empty one...now if only I could convince my wife.

/ Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders?? #3  
Put your bird feeder on top of a 10 foot high, 4 inch diameter PVC pipe, beyond jumping distance. We have had no squirrels get to the feeders since they were put up about 10 years ago.

The pipe is held in place on a fence post by bungee cords. Food is put up by a cup on the side at the end of a 10 foot, 1 inch PVC pipe.

Bruce

/ Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders?? #5  
Got a "Yankee Flipper" for Christmas...I think they tamed them down a bit to appease the PETA folks...pretty indestructible in construction but they still keep trying...only seen 2 actually "get the ride" but I don't watch it 24/7. I do know that it swings a lot with a squirrel heading for the woods, probably wondering what is that thing.

/ Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders?? #6  
My feeder is too far away for them to jump on it, and it's mounted on about a 6 foot gas pipe. I installed a squirrel baffle and it works great...for squirrels...but the ol' Rackety Coon Chile can get around it. I used to grease the pipe; that was a hoot watching a squirrel try to get to the seed, but it has to be regreased too often.

/ Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders?? #7  
These actually work. Guess they SHOULD for the price! We had one for many, many years. Then bought another for a gift for my dad. I inherited it when he passed, so we have two now.

Amazon.com : Woodlink Absolute Squirrel Resistant Bird Feeder Model 7533 : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I got one of those on a 6' 4x4 trimed with aluminum so squirrels aren't supposed to get up. One did make it to the top and was trying to get some seed out.

Unlucky for him the feeder was set about 40' around the corner of the house and I have my 22 sighted in to 40'. I dropped the squirrel and the bullet went through him and put a dent in the top of the feeder. I must have gotten a dozen tree rats that are busy munching on seed that falls on the ground.

/ Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders?? #8  
I've also used a length of 4" PVC pipe. Cheap easy and effective. The feeder has to be a long way from nearby trees and bushes otherwise they will jump from above.

/ Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders?? #9  
22 out the kitchen window. Leave the screeens raised up. If shooting near the sink cover the drain.

/ Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders??
The most squirrel-proof feeder is an empty one...now if only I could convince my wife.

That's about the size of it. Squirrels are very persistent where food is concerned, and very intelligent. Give them enough
time, and they'll find a way.

22 out the kitchen window. Leave the screeens raised up. If shooting near the sink cover the drain.

Nah :eek: I'm too much of an animal lover, and really enjoy watching their antics, along with other wild life.

I'm not actually looking for a squirrel-resistant bird feeder. The reason I posted the photos was to illustrate
their persistence. As I said in the original post, we had the feeder for over two years before one (out of many) managed to find a way in to the good stuff.