Hunting Cabin

/ Hunting Cabin #1  

General Lee

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, L4400, BX1870
I've been wanting a little cabin / man cave for a while now. I'd like to hunt from it, have it double as a man cave and just an all around place to relax. Don't laugh, but it will only be about 150 yards from the house. It will be in the woods on an elevated finger overlooking my creek bottom.

I've decided to purchase the cabin from a shed / barn builder. It will be 12 x 18 with a front porch. I'll finish the interior with insulated walls and laminate flooring to give it a rustic look.

The kicker is there will be no electric, water so when I'm using it I'll be roughing it out there. (A whole 150 yards from the house lol) May even put in a small wood stove.

Anyhow, looking for ideas from ones who have something similar, what have you done to make it have some creature comforts without water and electric? Any tips or ideas prior to getting started are welcome. I'll probably sit down this week and design it with the contractor.

/ Hunting Cabin #2  
Make it classical. No OSB visible, all real wood, no laminate. Wood plank floor, wood windows, wood door, wood stove. No barcode. Thats my 2cents.

/ Hunting Cabin #3  
Vinyl or metal on the outside if possible if not the wood peckers will love you.This is speaking from experience.

/ Hunting Cabin #4  
Make sure that you get the builders to insulate the floor. It is hard to get to after it is built. Also make sure they do a good job. I had one company that wanted to use fiberglass bats in the floor and use the paper as the bottom side with nothing to protect it from mice, squirrels ect. I did not get them to build a shed for me. Ed

/ Hunting Cabin #5  
View attachment 461837 When I built our 18 x 24 log cabin in AK the squirrels were the eventual big problem. They found a way into the ceiling space and would store/dry their harvested mushrooms there. I obtained the necessary permit from the state, cut the trees, trailered them to our site, two-sided them and built this cabin. Its was true heaven - we would go there and spend as much time as possible. Had a small generator outside, wired to provide light in the cabin. Everything else - stove & refrigerator were propane. Collected rain off the roof - in a whiskey barrel - for our water. That was one of our big regrets in leaving AK - we could no longer go to the cabin. Sold the land & cabin to a good friend and its still there being used. Cabin was built the summer of 1976

Looking back at all the effort required I probably would have built a pre-cut log cabin. We had to clear the site by hand, dig 24 holes-each 6' deep, pour full of concrete, extend each hole upward to a level plane with sono-tubes and pour them full of concrete. The sand,gravel, water & cement had to be brought in by hand, the concrete was mixed by hand. Each log was winched up to the site with the winch on my Jeep, pealed and two-sided with an Alaskan mill. The first layer of logs were 14" thick by 18" wide. You have no idea how VERY slick a freshly cut, peeled, two sided log that is 30' long can be and how hard it is to man-handle it into position.

I would put the winch line on the end of the log, run the cable to an appropriate snatch block on a tree and, on command, my wife, who was in the Jeep, would activate the winch - pulling the log up to the cabin and slowly, carefully up the side of the cabin and over the top log on a wall and into position. You can only imagine some of the shouting scenes that developed from this operation. In those days I was young, fearless and slightly crazy. But with only me, my wife and my seven year old son we got the entire job completed in the summer of '76.

Last edited:
   / Hunting Cabin
Awesome cabin oosik. The roof on mine will be metal, but most likely the sides will be board and batten. Thats the look I'm going for. Good point on the woodpeckers. This thing is basically a shed built to look like a cabin. Not a huge amount of money, and I will finish the interior. A nice place with a little view, a fire pit and can hunt off the porch if I wish.

/ Hunting Cabin #7  
Anyhow, looking for ideas from ones who have something similar,.

Not sure where you will find that.

Do you plan on sleeping out there, is this a day time fort?

Just you or sleep overs?

/ Hunting Cabin #9  
Not a real hunting cabin if you can't see your breath when you wake up in the morning... snuggled down in about ten layers of covers... Wondering about which one of you is finally going to get up and pee or build a fire in the cook stove ... :)

/ Hunting Cabin #10  
Not a real hunting cabin if you can't see your breath when you wake up in the morning... snuggled down in about ten layers of covers... Wondering about which one of you is finally going to get up and pee or build a fire in the cook stove ... :)

LOL. worst bladder loses! (or forget suds as bedtime snack)

I fooled my gang as I slept in a military down sleeping bag. Snug as a bug in a rug!
LOL today I'd be awake at 3, and 4, and 5 and 6. (prostrate)