Generator to power electronics?

/ Generator to power electronics? #1  

jymbee

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 1652, 1949 Farmall H
We expect to be doing some demos this summer and many of these sites will be outdoors with no AC power. I'd like to use our Honda generator to power a notebook computer, 23" monitor & Dye Sub printer. I believe the power output of this generator would be sufficient (?) to run the equiipment, but wondering if there's something we might want to do between the generator and the electronics by way of protection? Perhaps a power surge device of some kind or is there something more suitable for this kind of application?

/ Generator to power electronics? #2  
IMHO I think a Honda inverter generator and a surge protector and you should be good to go.

/ Generator to power electronics? #3  
As long as your load isn't too close to the generator capacity you should be OK. Just get a good high quality surge suppressor plug strip to go along with it.

/ Generator to power electronics? #4  
I used to have a 4.4 kw Suzuki generator and used my computers on it.

Ralph

/ Generator to power electronics? #5  
We have and use that very same Honda generator. Although we use it for construction power, not computers. Gee, we do love this little generator. Seems this machine was made to be safety used with sensitive electronics, like your computer.

Attachments

• Honda Gens (DL).jpg
    Honda Gens (DL).jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 148
   / Generator to power electronics? #6  
What you are looking for is a device called a line conditioner or power conditioner.

/ Generator to power electronics? #7  
I have a 5.6kw Wacker Generator and I used it to power my house including TV, Satellite and computer for 12 days during a hurricane close call. I had no issues that whole time.
I only shut the gen down twice a day to refuel.
I bought one of the Honda EU 2000 gens a year ago for use around my new property and I love it. Portable and quiet!

/ Generator to power electronics? #8  
I'd be inclined to run your Honda inverter gen as is - they are well regulated. I am assuming that your printer is not a power hog - add up the sticker wattages of what you are using, and/or test with a KillAWatt meter.

Honda makes a good generator, but the other reason I would go that way is it is possible that some forms of down-stream protection might interfere with how the generator "sees" the load, causing it to mis-behave.... worth checking with Honda tech support, if nothing is mentioned in the manual.

Rgds, D.

/ Generator to power electronics? #9  
I would try and avoid having electronics on line during start up and shut down if at all possible.

/ Generator to power electronics? #10  
You will want to run the electronics off of a UPS such as the APC BR1500G Back-UPS*Pro which offers AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulation) to help handle spikes and drops in the generator power.

Aaron Z