Worried about wasps and bees

/ Worried about wasps and bees #1  

AllenArmory

Silver Member
Tractor
TYM T554HST Cab
I'm getting close to buying my first tractor to manage my property, which is around 40 acres, mostly woods. I'll be using a grapple and rotary cutter to make trails through the woods. I'll also be mowing the few acres of pastures I have.

I'm starting to worry a bit about wasps and bees. I do have both on my property, but they are easy to avoid while walking around. I'm more worried about running into or over a nest while on the tractor.

I have been stung once already (mud dauber), but didn't really have a bad reaction from it.

My property is in northeast Texas near Lake Fork, if that matters.

Any tips from you veterans out there?

/ Worried about wasps and bees #2  
Buy a tractor with a cab ... problem solved.

/ Worried about wasps and bees
Buy a tractor with a cab ... problem solved.

I really want one. Aside from budget, I was told by several people (including my dealer) that a cab wouldn't be a good idea since it would get scratched up in the woods.

/ Worried about wasps and bees #5  
I really want one. Aside from budget, I was told by several people (including my dealer) that a cab wouldn't be a good idea since it would get scratched up in the woods.

I drive my tractor in the woods all the time and don't scratch it at all. If you are one who folds their ROPS down and Rambos through the woods moving stuff out of way with hands and arms and tractor parts than a cab is not for you.

But if you take the time to trim your trails to clear a raised ROPS, you already have cleared enough for your cab. If you can afford it get the cab, don't even think about it anymore. Sitting in air conditioned comfort on a hot day under siege by a angry swarm of ineffective wasps beats an open station don't you think?

It would be a great time to turn down the stereo, put down your cool beverage and call your dealer and any of your "peeps" who tried talking you out of the cab.

Get what you want. NOBODY regrets getting a cab.

image.jpg

/ Worried about wasps and bees #6  
I finished mowing around the hives my buddy keeps at our place in my bee suit after I got stung in the face a couple of times. Not a good as a cab, but quite a bit cheaper.

/ Worried about wasps and bees #7  

You are in Texas? Any Killer Bees around your area yet? If so, a cab could literally save your life.

/ Worried about wasps and bees #9  
I'm in NY, so maybe I'm off here. Honeybees (Africanized bees included) generally hive up off the ground. I'm away of just one hive being found at ground level and that was under an old tree.

/ Worried about wasps and bees #10  
I average one bad encounter with ground bees each year. Typically 6-15 stings per encounter.

Typically this occurs when I move rotting logs with the FEL and they swarm out of the ground or when mowing brush, when bees come from nowhere.

I always have Benadryl and water on the tractor. When I am stung I take Benadryl and head home, into air conditioning and near the telephone, immediately. Multiple stings can create multiple adverse health effects in twenty minutes. You do not want to be hot and in the woods should adverse effects stack. (I am 68-1/2 years of age.)

PS: Like EDDIEWALKER I use insect repellent, in my case 40% DEET, branded Repel, from the Sporting Goods section in Walmart. I apply DEET primarily for protection against mosquitos which carry increasing numbers of diseases in North Florida. However, the DEET may confuse angry bees for a short period.

I shower shortly after finishing outdoor work to wash the residual DEET off.

I put about 400 engine hours on my tractor annually, 60% in woods and trail work.

Last edited: