Dog door for screened in porch...

/ Dog door for screened in porch... #1  

KubotaToy

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota LX331HSDC (hers) and L45 (mine), RTV1100 (hers)
We adopted our first inside dog after 30 years of outdoor hunting dogs, she has quickly became the queen of the house and has brought much happiness to an empty house. My wife had been bugging me to put a dog door on the back door which I did a few weeks ago but it became obvious that propping open the porch screen door was not a long term solution to let the dog out for her wee time (flies seem to find the open door irresistible). So, instead of paying $$$ for another factory built dog door and a trip to town, I decided I would just make one from pieces of wood I have from my sawmill waste. I installed my doggy outhouse door in the screen wall instead of the porch door, which keeps my screen door clear. Turned out ok, but now two of my neighbors want to make them one for their porches. Anyway, hope you enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

• 20160416_214342[1].jpg
    20160416_214342[1].jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 214
  • 20160512_164457[1].jpg
    20160512_164457[1].jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 197
  • 20160512_164638[1].jpg
    20160512_164638[1].jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 241
  • 20160512_164645[1].jpg
    20160512_164645[1].jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 233
   / Dog door for screened in porch... #2  
We adopted our first inside dog after 30 years of outdoor hunting dogs, she has quickly became the queen of the house and has brought much happiness to an empty house. My wife had been bugging me to put a dog door on the back door which I did a few weeks ago but it became obvious that propping open the porch screen door was not a long term solution to let the dog out for her wee time (flies seem to find the open door irresistible). So, instead of paying $$$ for another factory built dog door and a trip to town, I decided I would just make one from pieces of wood I have from my sawmill waste. I installed my doggy outhouse door in the screen wall instead of the porch door, which keeps my screen door clear. Turned out ok, but now two of my neighbors want to make them one for their porches. Anyway, hope you enjoy the pictures.

It would be really easy to convert that with a simple flap so she can come and go as she pleases.

/ Dog door for screened in porch...
It would be really easy to convert that with a simple flap so she can come and go as she pleases.
I thought about just framing in a small opening and just cut the screen on the three sides to make a flap but around my neck of the woods, we have a very large population of raccoons and possums. I needed to be able to lock up when we go to bed.

/ Dog door for screened in porch... #4  
She looks pretty happy judging by the blur that is her tail wagging. Congrats and good job on that door.

/ Dog door for screened in porch... #5  
She is one happy looking pooch.
Around here dog doors in a screened room are framed like yours. They also have a sheet metal door on the outside with spring loaded hinges on one side. On the other side the last inch (beyond the door opening) is bent out on a 30* angle with the corners rounded. It takes very little training (with a small block of wood holding the door open less and less every couple days) for the pet to paw at the bent lip and the door opens enough so they can flip it open to get in.
The hinges have a light spring action and some people only have one spring and one regular hinge on the door for smaller dogs.
It is on the outside as other animals just don't push on it and walk in.

Al

/ Dog door for screened in porch... #6  
I thought about just framing in a small opening and just cut the screen on the three sides to make a flap but around my neck of the woods, we have a very large population of raccoons and possums. I needed to be able to lock up when we go to bed.

Yeah raccoons can be a problem and a real pest. I've had them come through the dog door, right into our kitchen and start crunching down dog kibble in the middle of the night, and with me right there on the couch. Brazen little buggers but mostly nocturnal.
Odd thing is since I've moved out to the country I haven't seen any of them. Now the only dog door I have leads out to the fenced in dog run.

/ Dog door for screened in porch... #7  

There is a company that makes pet doors where you put an unobtrusive magnetic collar on the dog. Without the magnet the door will not open.

Until you find wildlife with special collars you are safe...