Windows 10

/ Windows 10 #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
I am tired of the popups imploring me to download Windows 10.

Is it worth it? Learning curve?

I'm still running Quicken 2008 so I don't change software unless I have to or really should.

Experienced user, fast desktop, lots of memory.

My inclination is not to be an early adopter.

I think a lot of us might be wondering the same thing.
Advice?
thanks
Drew

/ Windows 10
thanks, that begs the question, do I want it even if free?
I have one old computer with XP on it and I like the interface just fine...
No need for latest thing unless it really performs better.
Free might mean we are guinea pigs.

/ Windows 10 #4  
My son is into I.T. work. I asked him the same thing and he said to stay away from it. That was some time ago. Last week 3 I.T. people were here and none were impressed with 10. One follow said "it is like every second version sucks". 10 is one of those versions.

I know nothing about these things but I do listen.

Al

/ Windows 10 #5  
thanks, that begs the question, do I want it even if free?
I have one old computer with XP on it and I like the interface just fine...
No need for latest thing unless it really performs better.
Free might mean we are guinea pigs.

I think Windows XP computers are not eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade? As they say, if it ain't broken don't fix it.

/ Windows 10 #6  
I'm most definitely NOT an I.T. person but I've owned and used computers since before Windows was invented. So I've gone through lots of different versions and have liked Windows 10 better than any of them . . . . . until the last couple of weeks. I allow all the automatic updates and recently had one that took a long, long time to download and install. Since then, it "seems" (no real proof) a bit slower, but the most annoying thing is that it'll periodically hang up and I have to restart the computer, or it'll seem to be working OK . . . except . . . I can't open the browser (Microsoft Edge) or my email (gmail) without first restarting the computer.

/ Windows 10 #7  
Last week I had a business computer with XP and Microsoft money (which is no longer supported) and the hard drive was going bad. I cloned the hard drive because I had lots of business related contacts and was hoping to limp along until I could find a way to transfer the data.

Of course I got a pop up from Microsoft noticing the change in the computer and it locked up all Microsft software so no changes could be made until I installed the original disc. Remarkably I had the disc from 9 years ago but it still didn't recognize it.

Microsoft was of no help, Word, Access and excell wouldn't work even though I have the original, paid for installation discs.

Out of desperation I purchased a new computer with Windows 10. (There is no free upgrade for XP or Vista) Of course, I lost all information and functionality of Microsoft Money. Additionally my Microsoft Office 2010 wouldn't install and I had to purchase the 2016 version, which is now a yearly screwing, er I mean fee.

I also had to purchase a new accounting software, Quickbooks Pro 2016 and it won't load onto Windows 10 but did install on a desktop publishing work station with Windows 7 professional.

The new Windows 10 Interface is not very intuitive and there is no way to switch to a more conventional look like in previous editions.

I wouldn't switch if you didn't absolutely need to and will not be updating my desktop publishing or video editing computers any time soon. Compatibility with older Microsoft products is terrible (I'm sure it on purpose) but I was able to make it work with a HP all in one printer that is a year old.

Good luck! (Don't do it!)

/ Windows 10 #8  
I can tell you how much confidence that I have in MS and W-10... I just bought a new $3500 desktop that came with the 'mandatory' W-10. First thing I did was to buy my own copy of W-8.1 Pro (with discs), wipe off the W-10 and installed W-8.1 Pro.

No regrets. I don't feel like being MS's guinea pig or captive slave. I suspect that MS is trying to get to the point that we all have to 'rent' their product like they have done with Office 365; $99/year or it shuts down! Automatic update feature has been turned off.

/ Windows 10 #9  
I suspect that MS is trying to get to the point that we all have to 'rent' their product like they have done with Office 365; $99/year or it shuts down!

Bingo ... that's why M$ is calling Windows 10 a "service". It's just a matter of time before a "subscription" is needed. When that day comes, goodbye Windows hello Linux.

/ Windows 10 #10  
Agreed. I have decided I am staying with W9 till it is no longer usable and then get away from MS