Anyone using insulin for diabetes?

/ Anyone using insulin for diabetes? #1  

Gary Fowler

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010
I have been on pills for years. Doctor finally put me on insulin. I am using the Lantus Solostar pen and was wondering if anyone else uses it and if so how much dosage does it take. I started at 15 units with instructions to go up 1 unit per day till my morning blood sugar was 130 or below. After a week of 1 unit per day with no change in my sugar from 200 +, I started going up 2 units per day and now am at 60 per day. Morning sugar is still high,140-170 depending on the amount of exercise I got during the past day and how many carbs I had for dinner. I am a bit concerned about going any higher because if I am out working hard, like using a weedeater for 4 hours, at lunch my sugar has been down to 85 and less than 70 is supposed to be passing out point because of TOO LOW sugar.
Anyway, I am looking at what other folks are using for diabetes control when using insulin. These pens are rather expensive at $435 per month, even with Medicare it costs me $45 co-pay. The $45 isn't a big deal but I hate to see drug companies ripping folks off. I didn't think insulin was that expensive. Am I paying for the convenience of once a day dosage? I am not familiar with other options.

/ Anyone using insulin for diabetes? #2  
I'm a type 2 diabetic and like you, my morning numbers have been slowly climbing over the past several years. I just wanted to subscribe to your thread because I'm sure I'll be in your shoes in the future. I'm not on insulin for the record (yet), but a friend of mine just started using Trulicity and he is just raving about it. Did some research on it and I think I would like to see how this shakes down over time. It's pretty new. He was injecting 70 units of Lantus(?) daily with inconsistent results.

I wish you the best of luck and hopefully, we'll both learn from your thread.

/ Anyone using insulin for diabetes? #3  
Gary,

I have no direct experience but my brother does. He is 55 and has been on insulin starting at age 3. I recall, for many years two shots a day. Hard to balance when activity fluctuated greatly. All these years later, he uses some sort of pen like you described and he gives himself many shots during the day to make tweaks. I assume he is constantly measuring his blood sugar. When we were all kids growing up, we had little to no sugar in the house. All these years later I was shocked to see him eat a candy bar, he just gave himself a shot to compensate for it.

So I think the conclusion is more small shots through out the day. soon you should have a routine that is some what predictable. I'll end this with a disclaimer, I'm not a diabetic and have zero experience to dispense medical advice.

/ Anyone using insulin for diabetes? #4  
I've been on Lantus for probably 8 to 10 years, 90 units a day.
We don't eat a lot of sugar and maintain an active life style. I occasionally monitor blood sugar levels at home but
Believe a more accurate assessment is obtained by monitoring A1C levels.
B John

/ Anyone using insulin for diabetes? #5  
Gary, I am not using insulin YET but my doctor has already asked me if I would rather go on it.

As for the numbers, I was really surprised how they have inflated the "normal" readings as of late. For most of my 26 years of diabetes they required a reading of 60 to 90 as desired and anything over 100 was bad. Now they say 90 to 120 is desired and anything over 130 is bad. If a reading of 70 would put you in a comma, then how did we make it all those earlier years? I think they raised the numbers because not everyone checks their sugar as often or as close as they should so they inflated them to protect those people.

Also they use to want us to keep the A1C under 6.0 but now it is fine under 7.5? Go figure?

/ Anyone using insulin for diabetes? #6  
I can add a few worthless points here. They have changed recommendations over the years and for good reasons, that's what doing research does. Next year there could be new recommendations again, but that's really a good thing as is doing the research. They found that an high average blood sugar (aka glycogen*) creates a bunch of problems, as does to low of glycogen in your system and they have adjusted the recommendation up a tad over the years. Do note, insulin is a powerful hormone and taking much of it, is not good,,,, but neither is having an high A1C. People are much better off getting some or more exercise, to control there high glycogen levels, rather than taking more of this powerful hormone. All diabetics are different and that's the nature of this beast, so I recommend speaking with a diabetes educator. Or chat with your doc who I'd recommend has specialized education in diabetes. Does that help anyone? I've been a type 1 for over 40 years.

* Glycogen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/ Anyone using insulin for diabetes?
Gary, I am not using insulin YET but my doctor has already asked me if I would rather go on it.

As for the numbers, I was really surprised how they have inflated the "normal" readings as of late. For most of my 26 years of diabetes they required a reading of 60 to 90 as desired and anything over 100 was bad. Now they say 90 to 120 is desired and anything over 130 is bad. If a reading of 70 would put you in a comma, then how did we make it all those earlier years? I think they raised the numbers because not everyone checks their sugar as often or as close as they should so they inflated them to protect those people.

Also they use to want us to keep the A1C under 6.0 but now it is fine under 7.5? Go figure?
I got the 70 number from internet info and it may or may not be right. I can say that when my number hit 87 one day, I started shaking and was extremely weak which is why I tested before eating. A while after eating 2 ham sandwiches, I returned to normal. That night it was 120. My morning readings don't seem to correspond to any activity or eating event. I can eat a salad only at night and next morning have a 170 reading or a couple of times I ate 2 hamburgers and had a morning reading of 120. Vigorous activity does have an effect for sure AND small amounts of sugar like a couple scoops of ice cream seems to make the reading lower also which is contrary to most medical advice.

/ Anyone using insulin for diabetes?
I have a young doctor (young woman-very hot)and she must still go by the old rules. My A1C climbed past 6.0 and she agreed that I should start on insulin. The Lantus is supposed to be long acting and keep the blood sugar relatively steady all day long, so I think I will stick to the 60 or so units for at least till I can report to my doctor the results. They consider 5 pens a month's supply but at 60 units one pen will only last 5 days so I will be one pen short each month. Wife goes to see my Dr. today so I will try to talk to her too.

/ Anyone using insulin for diabetes? #9  
I'm type 2 ,been like that for twenty one years,I use 22 units of Lantus once a day in the morning for the past 4 yrs maybe but 2 yrs I started Aprida which is a fast acting insulin before meals.I check my sugars 4 times a day.I tried Victoza,but it gave me headaches.Everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for the next.Good luck,and yes activity plays a very important role on how it affects sugars in the body.

/ Anyone using insulin for diabetes? #10  
I am a bit concerned about going any higher because if I am out working hard, like using a weedeater for 4 hours, at lunch my sugar has been down to 85 and less than 70 is supposed to be passing out point because of TOO LOW sugar.

I am not a Diabetic as of yet. My A1C is "Pre-Diabetic" and I have family History (Father) so I will be one day I'm sure - Good Lord willing I should live that long.

I am also not a doctor. I am, however, a Paramedic (for about 26 years now) so I play a doctor in the mud, ditches, and places Doctors don't go. ;)

Our "Rule of thumb" is BGL below 60 AND altered mental status before we give any Glucose. I have seen someone with a BGL in the 50's and be an incoherent sputtering mess. I've seen the very same person be Lucid as the next guy with a BGL in the 30's.

What I'm trying to say is that the Passing Out / Hypoglycemic coma / Danger level is different for different people and sometimes even in different situations. The guy above was Incoherent BGL 50's and had been outside working & not eating like he should have, the time he was "Normal" and 30's he was just laying around the house (also not eating right - are we seeing a pattern yet?).

My advice (based on my experience & from *trying to* coach my Father along) is to try and aim your dosage for an "average" day and then you can adjust up / down as needed from there.

I'm sure you are already well aware but I'll say it anyway; while having BGL too High or too Low are both bad for your body & health - remember that Glucose is Fuel and having a level that is too low is much more dangerous (and happens a lot faster) that a level that is too high.

I highly recommend you carry the glucose tablets or a tube of the paste with you for Emergencies when you get caught out somewhere & feel low. On days you know ahead of time you will be working above normal, try smaller snacks (peanut butter crackers are great) between meals to keep your carbs up.

When my folks are traveling, they don't go anywhere without a little cooler bag with a couple waters, diet sodas & peanut butter crackers in it. Just in case they get caught out and dad gets low. He also carries the glucose tablets in his pocket everywhere.

Bottom line is - there is no set plan. You will have to find what works best for you. Making the switch from Pills to Insulin is a major adjustment and it will take you a little while to get yourself worked out.

Best of luck to you.