Looking for high BTU propane stove (camp)

/ Looking for high BTU propane stove (camp) #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
It doesn't have to be portable as I will NOT be lugging it into the countryside to go camping.

Instead, I'll try to use it on my back patio to pan-sear a thick steak so I don't smoke up my entire house (ask me why that's now a concern!)

I don't care if it sits on the ground (with legs) nor, do I mind if it sits on a tabletop.

I have a 30 pound LP tank to hook it to so I won't need something that uses those little 1 pound cans (or whatever size they are)

Question though...

Would something like this be able to get me into the heat range of my range on 'high'? I'll be using a cast iron skillet to crisp up the outside of the steak.

(last time I did this indoors, you could hardly see your hand in front of you but, it was one of the best steaks I've ever made)

I have thus far, come across the Camp Chef two and three burner (I think 30,000 btu for each burner)

/ Looking for high BTU propane stove (camp)
Well don't you know, I was just now looking around their site and found this

Maximum Output Single Cooker

Looks like it's 60,000 btu.

How would that compare to a range on high? (yes, I'm talking about red hot under the skillet, the larger heating element, not the smaller one)

/ Looking for high BTU propane stove (camp) #3  
Turkey cooker burner, or Northern Tool sells a two burner 'base camp' stove....I'd guess either of them are at least 30k BTU. Both connect to a larger tank.

I use the turkey cooker for my BIG canner, and for a 10gal pot for scalding chickens:

ry%3D400

Pre-cooking my home cured bacon in a cast iron skillet prior to canning it on the NT stove. Burners have two rows of jet holes, so I'd guess it can really crank out some BTU's.

ry%3D400

/ Looking for high BTU propane stove (camp) #4  
We use a three burner camp chef outfitters stove during the summer, the burners put out 30000 BTU each. We use it for both canning and cooking. You can heat a 12" cast iron skillet red hot on it, I think that will sear your steak for you:licking:

/ Looking for high BTU propane stove (camp) #5  
Turkey cooker burner, or Northern Tool sells a two burner 'base camp' stove....I'd guess either of them are at least 30k BTU. Both connect to a larger tank.

I use the turkey cooker for my BIG canner, and for a 10gal pot for scalding chickens:

ry%3D400

Who would ever think of using a turkey cooker for canning??

2012-08-03%2013.47.37%20%28800x530%29_zps791b4a5e.jpg

OR, using the shooting bench as a canning prep table??:eek:

:laughing:

/ Looking for high BTU propane stove (camp) #6  
The camp chef is wayyyyyy too hot to run a pressure canner on, have to use the kitchen stove for that. It is the bomb for the water bath canner though, can bring it to a boil in about 10 minutes and all of the boil over mess, steam and heat are outside!

/ Looking for high BTU propane stove (camp) #7  
LOT's and LOT's of folks who have "glass top" cook stoves and want to can their own veggies... I've done it myself when I wanted to keep the heat out of the house.

SR

/ Looking for high BTU propane stove (camp) #8  

In our case, that 943 All American canner is so tall you can't load jars due to the range hood over the stove....so the kitchen stove isn't even an option. Wife uses her mother's old 7 jar canner on the stove.

/ Looking for high BTU propane stove (camp) #9  
We have two All American canners, I just decided it worked out better for us to have two med sized canners, rather than one huge one... We do quite a bit of canning every fall and it's nice to be able to run them together or individually...

BTW, anyone wanting to purchase a pressure canner, All American brand canners are absolutely the best!

SR

/ Looking for high BTU propane stove (camp) #10  
you can make it as many BTU's as you want.. Just provide enough gas, large burner holes,large orifice, and primary air..
Not sure how a 60,000 burner on a gas cooker would compare to an electric range, but a typical home gas range is about 65,000 BTU total for all burners on at once.. Oven ,and all top burners.. The oven alone is somewhere in the 12000-15,000 BTU range with the top burners making up the remainder of the BTU