One reason (excuse) to get your septic tank pumped

/ One reason (excuse) to get your septic tank pumped #1  

JRobyn

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330HST
It's been about 4 years in the new house, but only really 2-3 of being here regularly. So its a little early to have the septic pumped, but I was curious about how it was doing. Plus, we use a garbage disposer (sparingly) and occasionally flush some of those "supposed to be biodegradable and flushable, but are they really?" things.

VERY glad we did. First thing the pumper says when he gets off the cover is, "looks like your inlet pipe is running uphill a little". Sure enough, you could see a little standing water in the pipe just at the end. I am CERTAIN that when we installed the tank and pipe, it had proper slope all the way to the tank. IIRC, it was even a little excessive, definitely over an inch/10ft. So either the tank floated before we got it full of water, or the inlet pipe got sunk when backfilling. The trench was hand-dug by me and had undisturbed hard pan under the entire run of pipe except for the last few feet where it spanned the big hole excavated (blasted) in the rock for the tank. So not too likely that the whole run of pipe had sunk.

I wasn't here when my contractor backfilled around the tank, but trusted/assumed that appropriate care would be taken to fill carefully and well around the piping. You guessed it - NOT!!!

I partially filled the newly dug trench for the line with water to accentuate just how sunk it is. The "sump" corresponds exactly to the gap where the big tank excavation is. I haven't lasered it yet to be sure, but based on the water, it is a more than 4" sump. Turns out, the pipe is also cracked/broken, because after I watered the trench I could hear the water trickling into it.

Never would have known without having the tank pumped until the "sump" in the pipe backed up. We're probably very lucky that it hadn't already backed up, like right when we had a houseful of guests.

IMG_0308.JPG

Last edited:
   / One reason (excuse) to get your septic tank pumped #3  
In Wisconsin we are required to have the septic inspected every 3 years (pretty stiff fines if that little card doesn't get sent into the county on time). Depending on the sludge level it may also require a pumping but my guy will pump every 3 years regardless. It has become a specialty profession...$150 every 3 years certainly beats having to deal with a problem that only appears in the basement.

/ One reason (excuse) to get your septic tank pumped #4  
Looks like it got ran over!

/ One reason (excuse) to get your septic tank pumped #5  
Had a similar thing happen to me a few years ago but we had a full house of family for thanksgiving when it backed up into the basement. I called the contractor that installed the system and when he dug it up the pipe had completely pulled away from the tank because of the excessive settlement. He had the nerve to blame me because as he recalls, I did the backfilling. I told him the problem wasn't the fill above the pipe.......... it was the lack of compaction under the pipe that allowed it to settle.

A year later I had issues with my sewage pipe from the shop. I dug it up and found a section of that pipe that had settled over 6" and became completely plugged. Same contractor. Called him back to fix that pipe too.

/ One reason (excuse) to get your septic tank pumped #6  
Around here the going rate to have your septic pumped and flushed out was $350 in 2014. They recommended service every 5 years.

/ One reason (excuse) to get your septic tank pumped #7  
$200 here.

/ One reason (excuse) to get your septic tank pumped #8  
Here by law we need to pump every 2 years (4 if seasonal occupation (cottage area))
AS an association of cottage owners we do an annual sign up campaign for pumping with last years fee being $160 (taxes incl) and the pumper takes care of all the paperwork. Nice win win for all.

The pumper service biggest cost is transportation (rural area) so scheduling a campaign works for him and he is very pleased to share the savings.

On my home dug and DIY system I first pumped after 22 years of usage and the pumper claimed that it was just like a 3-4 year usage system. At that it probably could have gone much longer as we discovered blockage was due to renters having flushed J cloths and feminine products.

/ One reason (excuse) to get your septic tank pumped #10  
Yep, we had something similar some years ago . . . at Christmas. Fortunately (I guess) all our company that day was just about to leave when the plumbing stopped up. It sure was cold our there digging up that line to find that an "L" had sunk so that it, and the line on either side was full and not draining toward the tank. Actually, I guess the repair was fairly simple . . . if it just hadn't been so cold that day.:)