County Maps

/ County Maps #1  

bjr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma JM354
I'm needing a "Good" county map and Google Maps just don't cut it. There is a map maker called Metskers but they don't make county maps any more. I need something with the best resolution as I can find and up to date and all roads and utilities as much as I can get. Specifically Franklin County Washington state. What are my options here. Any Cartographers out there. bjr

Edit:

Well after a little more research and (As Often the Case With Me), I found out how much I really didn't know. I didn't know my Principle Meridian from my Baseline AND I found out what I actually was lookin' for was a Township map. So Now I can ask Where can I purchase a Township Map? You Just Have to Know this stuff, being a little humourist here!

Last edited:
   / County Maps #2  
Have you ever seen a gazetteer map? Not sure if that's what you are looking for but they are very detailed. I have one for Kansas so I know all the roads for Motorcycle riding.

/ County Maps #4  
State or local gis department if there is one is best source

/ County Maps #5  
Try Big Sky Maps. They specialize in PNW specialty maps; I have several Idaho county maps from a long time ago. Large format and lots of detail.

/ County Maps #6  
I'm needing a "Good" county map and Google Maps just don't cut it. There is a map maker called Metskers but they don't make county maps any more. I need something with the best resolution as I can find and up to date and all roads and utilities as much as I can get. Specifically Franklin County Washington state. What are my options here. Any Cartographers out there. bjr

What do you consider a "county map"?

Good maps are downloadable from USGS for FREE.

Another service of your federal government that many here seem to bash.

/ County Maps #8  
By golly, you are correct. Metsker no longer makes county maps. I have many of their county maps here in Ea WA but they are all at least twenty years old.

I've started using DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer for Washington. I use this mapping system to plan out local trips on my motorcycle.

For really "close in" work I go to the Spokane County Assessors web site and pull up their assessing maps. They contain a lot of info I don't use - property ownership, valuation, structures - but are quite detailed for roads, trails etc.

/ County Maps #9  
I've started using DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer for Washington. I use this mapping system to plan out local trips on my motorcycle.

De Lorme's business & store is a little over an hour drive from me, a great store with a lot more than just their "gazetteer" books in there. I love their maps but I heard on the local radio that they were bought by Garmin……the GPS folks. I hope that does not mean an end to their actual maps, GPS sucks for actually learning anything.