Carrier lost my checks

/ Carrier lost my checks #1  

Tomtint

Elite Member
Tractor
L3700SU
We get multiple deliveries a week via UPS. Last month , somehow they managed to loose not 1 but 2 checks that we gave them for COD deliveries. One was 400 something dollars and the other one 300 something. They called and said they need me to replace them as they have record of me paying at time of delivery, but it was lost after the driver turned them into the dispatch. ... Problem is, I write checks out of anywhere between 8-10 books and do not record them in a register... I have no way of knowing the check numbers and my bank won't do a stop payment with out one... Any one had a similar experience ? What did you do ?

/ Carrier lost my checks #2  
If you don't record them in a register, do you at least have the "carbonless check copies" in the check book? If not, you're even a worse record keeper than I am.:laughing: Assuming you have the carbons, you're probably going to have to go through the books and look for them.

Also, I'd probably start taking a pic of the check that you give to the UPS driver from here on out.

/ Carrier lost my checks
If you don't record them in a register, do you at least have the "carbonless check copies" in the check book? If not, you're even a worse record keeper than I am.:laughing: Assuming you have the carbons, you're probably going to have to go through the books and look for them.

Also, I'd probably start taking a pic of the check that you give to the UPS driver from here on out.

Carbons....lol. Nope, I have a couple check books in each truck, one or two in my garage, another one in the kitchen junk drawer a few in my office. And a few others in other places around the house.. Once I write a check its gone until I need to file taxes.

/ Carrier lost my checks #4  
We get multiple deliveries a week via UPS. Last month , somehow they managed to loose not 1 but 2 checks that we gave them for COD deliveries. One was 400 something dollars and the other one 300 something. They called and said they need me to replace them as they have record of me paying at time of delivery, but it was lost after the driver turned them into the dispatch. ... Problem is, I write checks out of anywhere between 8-10 books and do not record them in a register... I have no way of knowing the check numbers and my bank won't do a stop payment with out one... Any one had a similar experience ? What did you do ?

You mean you wrote out a check and don't have a receipt or a bill? How do you file taxes without that?

/ Carrier lost my checks
You mean you wrote out a check and don't have a receipt or a bill? How do you file taxes without that?

We wrote checks for COD deliveries, we get receipts for the packages inside the packages. Our accountant gets our checking statements 1/4 ly. I don't keep record of what check#s go where, so I don't know what check#s they lost.

/ Carrier lost my checks #6  
We wrote checks for COD deliveries, we get receipts for the packages inside the packages. Our accountant gets our checking statements 1/4 ly. I don't keep record of what check#s go where, so I don't know what check#s they lost.

I would start keeping track as you are a prime hit for someone. Good luck. Ask the carrier how much you owe him.

/ Carrier lost my checks
I would start keeping track as you are a prime hit for someone. Good luck. Ask the carrier how much you owe him.

Maybe so, still does not help with the checks they lost, should they resurface, they would likely be deposited and I would never know.

/ Carrier lost my checks #8  
One more crack at this if you don't mind.:D You have a receipt in the package you got right?

/ Carrier lost my checks
One more crack at this if you don't mind.:D You have a receipt in the package you got right?

Yes, I have a recipt. .. It does not show the check number on it, only what the COD amount was. . Also called our bank to see if they could stop payment based on a check date/amount/made out too.. Answer was no, they need a check #

/ Carrier lost my checks #10  
Get a listing of cashed checks from the bank and compare the cashed checks to the latest check in each checkbook? Hopefully it hasn't been cashed yet.

Aaron Z