Found this little guy on my driveway

/ Found this little guy on my driveway #1  

GrumpyJoe

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1533 HST w/ FEL
Would hate like **** to hit him with my finish mower. That's a size 13 boot.

received_10206842760650893.jpeg

received_10206842780611392.jpeg

received_10206842760610892 (1).jpeg

I VERY carefully grabbed him from behind and moved over to the woods. He wasn't too happy.

/ Found this little guy on my driveway #2  
That's a Snapping Turtle. The "little guy" could take off a finger! :eek:

Last edited:
   / Found this little guy on my driveway
I know all about snapping turtles. That's why I said VERY carefully moved him. I like my fingers the way they are.

/ Found this little guy on my driveway #4  
I've never seen one before. I always thought they where a southern thing. Do you have a lot of them in Ohio?

/ Found this little guy on my driveway #5  
I've never seen one before. I always thought they where a southern thing. Do you have a lot of them in Ohio?
Hardly a southern thing Eddie. We have restaurants that specialize in that meat (all local). Probably around now I could find sand/gravel roads around where the mommies came out of the swamps and laid their eggs (in the middle of the road)...if the eagles/raccoons don't get them, the local rednecks will.

/ Found this little guy on my driveway #6  

Eddie, we have them up here in New Hampshire too! They've laid eggs out in the yard, and when they hatch in early fall,
the little ones are just as nasty (disposition wise) as the mother.

/ Found this little guy on my driveway #7  
Last year I had one come up the hill on my driveway (gravel) and come up my back steps onto my deck and across the deck then down the front steps and thru the front yard and back down to the pond at the bottom of the hill. They really can travel good distances, even here in MA.

/ Found this little guy on my driveway #8  
I saw one last weekend digging a hole on the bank of my gravel road. She dug a depression and a hole which I assume she laid her eggs in.

/ Found this little guy on my driveway #9  
We sure have them here in and around a good sized pond in the Community Park. And many years ago, I had a coworker from Montana who said they ate them up there. I've eaten soft shelled turtles, but never ate a snapper.

/ Found this little guy on my driveway #10  
That is a little one.. We have some good ole bigun's down around here, and further south even bigger alligator snappers can go 250 lbs.. They don't take fingers off, they take legs off.