Attack spider?

/ Attack spider? #1  

stuckmotor

Tractor
AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs
We're reluctant to use insecticides to kill ants in the kitchen and have unsuccessfully tried several alternatives, from vinegar to cucumber peels. Today, I noticed that the parade behind the sink had slowed to two or three ants. There was a little spider on a web above the parade route so, wanting to observe further, I put a note requesting that the spider not be killed.

It's probably wishfull thinking on my part that the aunts are afraid of the spider. I've seldom even seen an aunt in a web. Has anyone noticed that aunts avoid spiders?

Last edited:
   / Attack spider? #2  
My aunt gets on a chair and screams. She avoids them at all costs...

/ Attack spider? #3  
Yeah, she was a spinster. Never got close to a web though. Made us kids clean 'em up.

/ Attack spider? #4  
My aunt just kills the spider. Use Simple Green to kill them on the spot.

/ Attack spider?
All there's replies were funny. The attack spider probably isn't going to work out though. I went back into the kitchen shortly after typing the origonal message and the spider was gone. Maybe the ants got him.

/ Attack spider? #6  
we once had a pet frog, which means you have to keep a cricket farm. In fact, I spent much more time raising crickets than anyone ever spent with the frog. But one night in the middle of the night I went down the hall to the bathroom where the frog and crickets resided and noticed a nice straight line of big black ants marching down the middle of the hall. Once in the bathroom, I saw a prehistoric battle between ants and crickets. The ants were winning and carrying off the dead crickets to their nest [which is another story]. So even if the spider was still around, I'd bet on the ants.

/ Attack spider? #7  
I have seen the battle between a black widow spider and a cockroach many times its size. Once that black widow got its fangs into a joint on one of the cockroaches legs, it was over. Clearly that venom is exceedingly potent.

/ Attack spider? #8  
Let me guess.........your aunt is a black widow. Okay, I'll go to another thread.:thumbdown:

/ Attack spider? #9  
I have heard that you are never more than 7 feet from a spider anywhere you are. I would think outside in the grass you would be much closer. Ants can usually dispatch much larger creatures due to overwhelming numbers on the attack.

/ Attack spider? #10  
I had to dispatch one yesterday. Ready step in the shower, opened curtain and a big 'wolf type' spider was running around trying to climb out. DThat think was FAST! Took me some time before I finally caught him in a wad of toilet paper. Sent him on his happy trails down the toilet.