What can I plant to prevent erosion?

/ What can I plant to prevent erosion? #1  

TBone

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L-2501 HST
I am in the process of building a 28 X 36 shop building (hope to post some pictures soon) and the location required quite a bit of fill dirt. This resulted in three sides having fairly steep slopes that will be prone to erosion.

When I poured the slab back in October I planted some ryegrass and clover and both came up very thick with the help of some water and fertilizer. Even with that I got a few washed out places.

With hot weather coming soon to Mississippi the winter grass and clover was starting to die down so I went ahead and mowed all but the steepest parts.

Now I need to get some summer grass started to take over the job of erosion control. I don't want to disk it (for obvious reasons) as I normally would to prepare the seedbed. I'm wondering what I could use to overseed the existing winter grass and clover that would put down some fast roots and prevent further erosion.

I was thinking about bermuda but I didn't know if it would come up without disturbing the soil to cover the seeds. I wouldn't be opposed to any landscape grass that will stay manageable as most of it is going to be impossible to cut with a mower.

Any ideas?

TBone

/ What can I plant to prevent erosion? #2  
On all of our pole barns we just put gravel around them. Never have a problem with washout.

/ What can I plant to prevent erosion?
Thanks Richard - haven't heard from you lately.

The gravel might work but it is a mighty short, steep slope. I'd say equivalent to a 12 in 12 pitch roof.

TBone

/ What can I plant to prevent erosion? #4  
The back yard of our first house had a bank that was pretty steep. The previous owner planted what I think was Crown Vetch??? Its all long the highway here in PA. Stuff is tough as nails.

Thanks Coachgrd,

I couldn't get your link to work but this one did Info on crown vetch

I really liked it till I read what they had to say about it - now I'm not too sure.
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
TBone

/ What can I plant to prevent erosion? #7  
TBone Have you forgotten about our state vine Kudzu that 'll stop erosion lol

/ What can I plant to prevent erosion? #8  
Yes, Kudzu would stop erosion, but boy I hate the stuff. Its too evasive. I'm in NW Mississippi and have overseeded with bermuda with good success. I have used a chain drag to help cover the seeds a little but its probably not necessary.

larry

Taylor,

There's some of our "state vine" about two miles from me. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif That's waaay too close.

If I had kudzu I'd have to cut me an entrance to the shop every morning. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Larry, I broadcast some bermuda grass seed this week-end and a cold front moved in Sunday. I'll keep it wet and see if anything comes up in a couple of weeks.

TBone

/ What can I plant to prevent erosion? #10  
Tbone,

With the cool weather we've been having, it may take a while to germinate. Be patient.

Larry