Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 455

Default Cell phone

What's the best deal on a cell phone you guys have ever seen? My wife and I had one about 5-6 years ago but never used it. The salesman thought I was off my rocker when I told him we no longer wanted it after the 2 year contract was up. Anyway, we now have 3 children and although I still don't have a need for one, I do hate the thought of her and the kids getting stranded somewhere and no way to get a hold of someone. I wouldn't expect we'll use it much more than emergencies. Is there a deal out there that is made for minimal usage like this?

Thanks,
    coachgrd

Tractor
    MF 1440-4 PowerShuttle

Default Re: Cell phone

You might try a Trac-Phone. They start at about $30 for the phone then you buy the minutes as you need them. Wal-Mart has them and the minute cards to use on them. They are in the electronics dept.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    BX 22

I have the minimum plan from the local cell company it is 9.95 a month runs about $11.50 after tax and stuff. I get 30 min of free local time then I pay by the minute. I almost never pay more than the minimum bill

Tractor
    Kubota L3650/AC B210

If I'm not mistaken, all cell phones have to be able to dial 911, even if there is no regular contract for service. A lot of charities collect the old phones and pass them on to people to be used for emergency calling.

Steve

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kuota L3130, Ford 9-n, Allis AC, and a JD 4020 with powershift

That is correct, any cell phone can dial 911, with or without a contract. I have one in my cars, old phones others were throughing way. Did not cost one cent.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet 7360SS & Craftsman GT3000 23 HP w/50

As our three girls started driving farther from home and at night, we bought them a prepaid cellphone (like TracPhone). It was with the understanding that I would buy x minutes a month and they were responsible for anything over. The youngest got stranded on I495 in MA late at night on her way back to college. She was terrified. When all was said and done, we were both VERY grateful for the phone.

Tractor
    JD 2210 JD318 JD332

The best deal on a cell phone that I have seen is Virgin Mobile prepaid. Just buy the phone and put in a minimum of $20 every 3 months and you are good to go. Cost comes out to $6.67 per month, hard to beat. This cost includes 80-200 minutes of use. They are available in most areas at Target, Wal-Mart, BestBuy, and Circuit City. Great for emergency use. It is the phone that I have.
    Ken [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]