Sealing painted surface

/ Sealing painted surface #1  

coachgrd

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1870
Hi everyone. My wife wanted me to paint her one of those barn quilts. I'd like to apply some sort of sealer over the finished product. I used exterior latex over 2 coats of primer sealer. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
Gary

/ Sealing painted surface #3  
Be very careful that the sealer is compatible with latex. Most are not. The last time I did this, the paint store guy swore the product was meant to go over latex. The latex cracked severely.

/ Sealing painted surface #4  
Prep is the most important thing. Are you painting over raw wood or has it been painted previously? Not knowing what is already there, or the condition of it, I would suggests sanding it down to either bare wood, or to a smooth finish of whatever was used to prime and paint it originally. Old paint can be the best primer ever if it's already proven that it's bonded with the wood and lasted for decades.

Since this is something that is going to be intricate, time consuming and you want it to last, oil based primer is the very best. I prefer Zinsser BIN. It goes on like water, which makes it very messy. It sprays real good if you have a sprayer. Sherwin Williams also has a very good oil based primer for exterior use that is worth the money. There is NO OTHER brand that I would use.

Latex paint sticks to oil base primer really good. Depending on the number of colors you plan on using, oil based paint is always going to be better then latex. I've never tried to paint a pattern with it, so that needs to be considered. If you go with latex paint, stick with either Valspar or Sherwin Williams. Those are the only two brands that survived the reformulation a few years ago. Whatever was good before then, doesn't mean anything today.

Clear coats can cause more damage then the prevent. I doubt that I would put one over the paint. In fact, it would take a lot of convincing to get me to do that. I would talk to the people at Sherwin Williams before doing it, and even then, probably not do it.

/ Sealing painted surface
To answer the questions...
The wood was pressire treated 1/2" plywood...dry to the bone, stored indoors for years. I gave it two coats of Kilz 2, then two coats of exterior latex for each color.

Thanks for the insight. I'll check with the guys at Sherman Williams, and for kicks see what the Lowe's guys say.

/ Sealing painted surface #6  
I wouldn't waste my time talking to the so called pros at Lowes. They sell a good quality paint, but their knowledge about painting is very limited. Sadly you wont know if they are just making up a reply, or not. The Valspar Reps are there almost every day, and they know their products, but it's hit or miss when they are there. The manager at Sherwin Williams is who you need to talk to to get the very best advice.

Clear coats react to paint and the sun. The concern I have with them is that it's very possible that it will affect the color or cause premature failure when applied. Sun is your biggest enemy.

/ Sealing painted surface #7  
I have found Kilz primers to be generally poor quality, agree with Eddie that Zinsser oil based primer is the way to go. In general, not a fan of water based primers.
It might be a good idea to do a test run of any clear sealer over the latex paint before going too far with it, I would be leery of a reaction between the two products. Also, spar varnish is a fantastic product, but has a tendency to yellow after aging. I would say for best and longest results, a Zinsser primer, followed by two coats of Benjamin Moore paint would be the best option,, it's more expensive, but worth it in the long run. A

Thanks everyone, for the very helpful responses.

Eddie...you every see Earl Campbell around town? IMO, Herschel walker #1 college RB of all time, but Earl is running a very close second.

/ Sealing painted surface #10  
I've never seen him. He lives in Austin, but his family is still here and friends post pictures with him on FB fairly often.

Bejimin Moore uses Valspar paint. Go into any store that sells Valspar and tell them what Bejimin Moore color you want and they will mix it up for you. On their website they list all the Ace Hardware stores as places to get their paint, but Lowes is usually faster and easier for me. I get a lot of clients who pick paint color from magazines, and Bejimin Moore is very big in the decorator magazines.