Golden Malrin fly bait... did it change formula?

/ Golden Malrin fly bait... did it change formula? #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
When I was a kid, we used to use Golden Malrin fly bait on the farm. It was like using a nuclear weapon on flies, killing them by the thousands, and helped keep them in check around the barns.

We've had a wet spring and the flies around the house are getting out of control. So I'm at TSC and I see a small can of GM and add it to the cart.

I get home and I break out my can of "tactical nuclear total fly annihilation weapon of mass fly destruction" and put some out in a few spots. Nothing! Dud! I don't see the flies going to this stuff at all!

So I cut up a milk jug and make a little bait station, add some GM and place it where I can see all the flies congregating on the patio table. The flies don't even look at it!

I attached a link to some on Amazon and the reviews seem to be 50/50. Some say it's great (like a remember years ago) and others are having the same results as me. What the heck? Did they change the formula? Do my flies have more discerning tastes? Does it have a shelf life and go bad?

/ Golden Malrin fly bait... did it change formula? #2  
I, also, notice a big difference in its effectiveness. When it used to be gold colored it killed flies by the hundreds. Then they changed it to blue and probably changed the formula also because it is just a waste of money in my barn now.

/ Golden Malrin fly bait... did it change formula? #3  
The yellow stuff killed flies, but it also killed dogs that ingested it. I believe it had a sugar base which made it attractive to most animals. Don't know about the blue.

/ Golden Malrin fly bait... did it change formula? #4  
Many people use the blue, illegally, mixed with soda or water, as poison to kill coon, possum, skunks, and also any dogs, chickens or other animals that are able to get it. I think it is more lethal to mammals than it is to flies.