Squirrel War of 2016

/ Squirrel War of 2016 #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
After posting last year of our neighborhood war on squirrels, neighbor shot 153 off a one acre lot, I thought I would have a 2016 year so far update. After more than 200 killed off four acres last year we have only killed around fifteen or twenty this year. The reason why is feathered. A nest of some type falcon is in my neighbors yard. There will be a screech then silence. And another one has bit the dust. I have not seen them take a squirrel but the guy across the road is disabled and sits in his front yard for hours every day and he has seen them hit one or two. Has also seen them get something smaller like a mouse or vole.

I said they are falcons but I'm really not sure. The red-tailed hawks are the most numerous around here and they have a relatively long slender wing and spend their time either perched in a tree or gliding thru the air with hardly a beat of their wings. These things in our yard every day have short stubby wings, never glide always moving fast, and did I mention that they are fast when they shoot across the yard. Kinda like a grey flash.

Anyway, if you are having squirrel trouble just lure some falcons to your yard.

RSKY

/ Squirrel War of 2016 #3  
cooper's hawk perhaps?

/ Squirrel War of 2016 #5  
Wow. I was having problems, 10, settled them down.

/ Squirrel War of 2016 #6  
We are surrounded by woods full of squirrels but our Black Lab keeps them at bay. Nothing he likes better than to chase squirrels. :squirrel::dog:

/ Squirrel War of 2016
Whatever they are they have thinned the squirrel population considerably. Just wish I knew how to attract them.

OK, I know somebody is gonna say 'have plenty of squirrels' to attract them.

RSKY

/ Squirrel War of 2016 #9  
Whatever they are they have thinned the squirrel population considerably. Just wish I knew how to attract them.

RSKY

If you've never tried it, fried squirrel is pretty tasty. Roll in flour and fry it up like you're pan frying chicken. No it doesn't taste like chicken but rattle snake does.

/ Squirrel War of 2016 #10  

RSKY
If you figure it out please post back...Pretty much feeding sunflower now for the rose-breasted grosbeaks but we have a few acrobatic squirrels that can get into that feeder. They were jumping from the bird bath so we moved it. Now they simply leap from the ground. Need a taller shepherds hook I guess. I have to check our regulations again but last I looked a home owner is allowed to shoot them out of season...I'm getting to that point.