What size wood stove?

/ What size wood stove? #1  

WoodChuckDad

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti RX7320 Power Shuttle Cab, Komatsu PC130-6
I'm having trouble sizing the wood stove for my new construction house that I am about to build. I am not using conventional construction, but also nothing revolutionary. This is going to be a post and beam SIPS house on a cement slab with cement floors and hydronic radiant heat in the floors. The wood stove will not actually be "needed" under most conditions, but I have been burning wood for 15 years and love it, and I also want an emergency heat source. Screen Shot 2016-07-10 at 9.31.22 AM.png
The main room will be 22x40 and have hi ceilings that slope from 9 feet to 16 feet. In the main room there is more glass than wall in both the front of the house and the back. So I am going in constant opposite directions on efficiency. Sips construction with great R values and lots of glass which significantly lowers the R values. Radiant heat from the floors but a high ceiling which creates a larger pocket to heat when using a wood stove. We like the look of some of the more contemporary round stoves, but they are all built for smaller spaces. We were also told by one of the sales reps at the wood stove place here Charlottesville va that we should probably stay away from a soap stone stove because it gives a softer heat and we would loose that with the high ceilings. They recommended something steel or cast iron. I'm throwing this out to TBN'rs to weigh in on because I figure this group has a broad spectrum of experiences that will help.

/ What size wood stove? #2  
If it's for emergency heat I'd get the biggest steel stove I could find. You can always have a small fire in a big stove, much harder to have a big fire in a small stove. Sometimes during the winter we cook tinfoil dinners in our stove just for the fun of it. I've even roasted hot dogs.

/ What size wood stove? #3  
Take a look at what jotul has to offer,should be able to find something that works for you. In your case , where you aren't looking for a primary heat source most any size will work,you can alway make a small fire. We never wanted to over size a stove because people would suff it full and damp it down to a smolder and make a creosote factory out of it. Much better to have a small stove and run it hot.

/ What size wood stove? #4  
A ceiling fan will keep the warm air circulating and the warm pocket of air will not form.

/ What size wood stove? #5  
I have a setup similar to yours. Radiant heat, large Great Room with high ceilings.
Make sure you have a large firebox that is easy to load. I like to get mine going and stoke it as seldom as possible. Even though ours mainly supplements the radiant, if needed, I like wood stove heat too. Look at how you clean the chimney on any stove you're considering. Some modern high efficiency ones have a shelf under the stove pipe where all the soot ends up if you brush the chimney. This means you have to remove the pipe and vacuum out the shelf area. It's a pain to do this in my case.

As previously mentioned, a ceiling fan is very important for efficiency and comfort. Very important. I put in a 7' diameter Bigass fan that turns at about 50 RPM. It's not loud and it's not distracting, but it's easy to watch because it runs so slowly. My ceiling is at about 14'. When first turned on there is a warm blast from all that stagnant hot air up at the ceiling.

BTW, the most affective reflective wall you can make behind the stove is galvanized corrugated roofing. The wall stays at room temperature behind the stove

/ What size wood stove? #6  
After doing a lot of reading, I went with a Napoleon that was sized for a 2,000 square foot home. My house is 1,000 square feet. My need was to be able to heat the house when the power was out and warm up water for bathing and cooking. I've lost power for 5 days during a very bad ice storm the year before and lived off of the generator. Since buying and installing it, I've found it to be perfect for my home. It only takes one load of wood to heat up the house and if I put in too much, I have to open the door to the garage to cool off the house. It's very efficient.

Figure out your square footage, then get a stove a lot bigger!!!!

When budgeting, remember that the pipe is super expensive. Also remember that for the most efficient burn, you want the pipe going straight up. NO BENDS.

/ What size wood stove? #7  
Probably the most cost efficient wood stove on the market today is the Englander 30-NC. About $990 when new, but you can get them on clearance at Home Depot in Feb-March-April for $650-ish when they go on sale.

I have one, bought Feb. 2014, finally got it installed 3rd week Nov. 2014.

I'll have to post pics of it later after I'm done downloading a big GPS file....

Good luck!

/ What size wood stove? #8  
For all that glass, install honeycomb (cellular) blinds. The 2-cell reflective coated blinds will add a lot of insulation to the glass area. We use ours at night in the winter and in the afternoons in the summer. You can get both vertical and horizontal cells.

/ What size wood stove? #9  
Soapstone = "soft heat"? What the HE$$ is "soft heat"?

Soapstone does not put the heat out quickly like a thin skinned metal stove. Rather you warm up a mass of stone and it holds the heat for a while.

A soapstone stove is a thing of beauty and as expensive as heck. I bought a lightly used Hearthstone III Woodstove with a bunch of triple wall pipe for $500 in 2012 and I just looked and the prices seem to be up a bit, for a similar new stove. But I just wanted something to go in my shop. It complements my 120CC Stihl 088 that I bought for about the same price :)

To get something big enough for your purposes you would probably be spending $2 to $3K at least for a good NEW soapstone stove.

Since you are building your own place and seem to have the skills have you looked into a "Rocket Stove Mass Heater"? Very efficient.

/ What size wood stove? #10  
Have you given a wood boiler to supply your radiant any thought?
I have a "Gasification" wood boiler for my (in slab) radiant and DHW all winter, love it.
With SIPS construction, I would be afraid to go by "normal" sf calculations for a wood stove, prolly way too much (big) heat for a tight SIPS house. Some heating load calcs were prolly done to design your radiant system, use those numbers to guide the BTU rating of the wood stove.