Dead Racoons?

/ Dead Racoons? #1  

smstonypoint

Tractor
NH TN 55, Kubota B2320 & RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw ZTR
I just discovered two dead raccoons on my farm in NC-- they were within 50 feet of each other on a trail adjacent to a neighbor's corn field. Both appeared to be well nourished and showed no obvious signs of external injuries.

My immediate concern is that they were rabid, but the local sheriff's office tells me that there have been no reported rabies cases in my part of the county. Do rabid animals appear to be well-fed?

Steve

/ Dead Racoons? #2  
The one I saw (running through the woods) look normal weight but was barely able to walk. Swaying back and forth. I would say it's most likely... just because it's not reported doesn't mean it's not there...

/ Dead Racoons? #3  
My first suspicion would be poison...I'm sure some pictures of rabies infected animals can be found...
The few rabid animals I've seen (some dead, some on their last leg) mostly rabbits were pretty haggard looking...

/ Dead Racoons? #4  
Well, at least you found the good kind of raccoons. :D

Could/did you check for bullet holes? Farmer-shot 'coons do head for the boonies, and often die slowly from fatal wounds.

I love to trap for predators and/or furs, would set a few 'coon cuffs' (very 'selective', btw) or other 'dog-proof' traps near where they were found. If the corn farming neighbor hears of it he'll likely thank you, so I'd want to work with him if you two get along well. btw, look for 'coons to want to nest-up in your barn or shed in Spring or Fall if you just let 'em run. Cornfields will keep 'em 'local'.

/ Dead Racoons? #5  
If the coons were sick enough to die from rabies they should have visible signs, if nothing else, they should have foam at the mouth and nose. Finding them that near each other - did they appear to be the same time dead? If so, I would think poison or gun.

/ Dead Racoons? #6  
I would consider poisoning, rabies and canine (dog) distemper virus as possible causes. If you see crusty eye and nose discharge that increases the possibility of distemper virus.

/ Dead Racoons? #7  
When you see two dead together and there's no trauma to the bodies, I'd guess poison. Watch your dogs and cats if someone's poisoning animals. But it could also be something not so sinister, like they got into something in someone's trash or garage.

/ Dead Racoons? #8  
Maybe adverse reaction to eating the Roundup in the corn. Haha. Sorry, but I like natural food.

/ Dead Racoons? #9  
Racoons love corn and I doubt your neighbor loves racoons. That and the fact that they were so close together makes me think their untimely passing was caused by something other than rabies.

/ Dead Racoons?
Thanks for the replies.

The raccoons had not been dead long when I discovered them Sunday afternoon -- they had not yet attracted flies.

I am now thinking the raccoons died of poisoning.

Two raccoons dying of rabies at the same time and place seems too much of a coincidence. I didn't inspect the remains closely, but I did not see any blood from gunshot wounds. The field is close enough to my farmhouse for me to have heard any shooting. I know that my two nearest neighbors haven't been using poison, but I have noticed that several dogs I used to see down the road have disappeared in the last month or so.

Does anyone know the "typical" range of travel of raccoons?

Steve