Hiding septic tank cover

/ Hiding septic tank cover #1  

rims421

Silver Member
Tractor
new holland tc- 35
I recentley purchased a new home.
The previos owners had a new septic tank installed and left the mess for me to cleanup and seed.
I did not bother doing repairs last year figured I would wait till the ground had a chance to settle. Well this spring I found that the ground had settled nicely some low spots and one rectangular high spot ( the top of the tank cover)
I am looking for suggestions for covering the top of the tank with something. I do not want to bother covering it with top soil because as soon as the summer arrives it will certainly burn out. I am thinking about using something that will cover the area but be portable enough to access the tank when necessary. Any ideas would be appreciated.

/ Hiding septic tank cover #2  
A natural area covered with your choice of mulch or rock with a half whiskey barrel turned on it's side, partially buried with flowers growing out of it.
That's about as portable as it gets.
If you need access, pull the barrel out of the way and, presto! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Hiding septic tank cover #3  
We have covers for each tank, and cover for the sump pump and one for the junction box, all in a row. (see picture)

We tossed around the idea of putting a small white vinyl picket fence around the covers (or at least along the front side of it) and planting flowers around it.

Attachments

• 411612-IM000030a.JPG
    411612-IM000030a.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 4,171
   / Hiding septic tank cover #4  
Ours is soil and seed. The hooks just stick out so we know where they are (you really have to look).

As for the amount of times that it will be accessed, this to me is a good cover. The sod will stay on the cover when it is removed and only the edges will need a little touch-up. when replaced. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Hiding septic tank cover #5  
I, too, use the whiskey barrel planter on my tank. I need to access it twice a year to clean the Zabel filter, and this seems to be the best solution, as the tank cover is at grade level.
Will

/ Hiding septic tank cover #6  
If you don't mind the look of big rocks, the Lowes and plumbing supply shops around here sell artifical hollow half rocks as well covers you could use. They come in different sizes and are pricey but look kinda real.

/ Hiding septic tank cover #7  
i built my better half a kitchen herb garden around ours and am actually going to enlarge it and put a gate and chicken wire around it to keep our free range birds ...she loves it and the chives r jist startin 2 come thru...as far as access!!! the center is a walkway with slate and its as easy as pie to get to any of my 3 doors!!! will try and git a pic thru end of the week
talk 2 u soon
TODD

/ Hiding septic tank cover #8  
used hemlock logs from down back but railroad ties or landscaping timbers would work well too /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Hiding septic tank cover
The herb garden idea sounds interesting.
What size bluestone did you use for the walkway?
Did you set the bluestone right on the soil or on a base of some sort?

/ Hiding septic tank cover #10  
Hmmmm..... locating edible herbs on or near a septic system is questionable. I certainly would shy away from that practice.

Not knowing the geography around your tank (hilly, flat, etc) makes it kinda hard to make any recommendations.

At our house, the tank is under a gently slopping hill about 15 feet from the house. The tank is between 1.5 to 2 feet under the ground. When I had it pumped a couple of years back, the honey-pot guy suggested that we put in an access cover to get to the septic tank cover. The guy told me where to purchase the materials and here is what I did. I measured the highest spot from the top of the tank. The septic tank access cover is 20"in diameter. I purchased a 20" length of 24" double wall corrigated drain pipe and a concrete cover to cover the pipe. So, the next time I need the septic tank pumped. All I need t do is to call the honey-pot man and he can do his job without me being there. The cover is just above ground level, easy to find, and provides quick access to the septic tank.

For your application, you may need to add a little soil over the tank and reseed. If you want to add the access cover you may. Just depends on what your needs are and what your landscaping expectations may be.

Terry