Decisions decisions

/ Decisions decisions #1  

Tomtint

Elite Member
Tractor
L3700SU
I have a slow work week next week and had decided to add on to our back deck at our home. .. I figured it is going to be 6-7K with all material and labor for a helper... Now I'm thinking about a 16x16 or 16x20 post and beam shed... Probably be able to do that for about the same money or even less. .. One way or another, work begins tomorrow ... Probably going to be a game time decision. 😝

/ Decisions decisions #2  
I pose this question to you. If you are married - will you expect your wife to sit in the new shed, with all your stored implements, all summer long?

I would suggest discussion/concurrence on your choice as an important part of your ultimate decision. Harmony is much better than knuckle bumps.

/ Decisions decisions #3  
I agree with the above post. I recently started two patios, both to be covered in the coming weeks. Wife has wanted a bigger front porch and a covered back patio for the 7 years we have been at this location.

I wanted to finish closing in my "barn" and start on a shop. Or build a big 4 car garage with one of the garage bays being air conditioned and big enough for vehicle and small shop. Talked to my wife this year about closing in the barn and starting on either shop or garage. Her response was "You give me my patios and I will eat peanut butter, beans and rice with you while not complaining for what ever shops, barns, sheds you want to build. If you decide other than patios and covers I will have to approve each and every purchase"

I had patios poured and will order the materials for covering them this week :)

/ Decisions decisions #4  
Could you build the deck extension such that a shed could be inserted underneath? Even if you had to raise the new portion of the deck -- there are lots of good looking decks with two levels.

/ Decisions decisions
I pose this question to you. If you are married - will you expect your wife to sit in the new shed, with all your stored implements, all summer long?

I would suggest discussion/concurrence on your choice as an important part of your ultimate decision. Harmony is much better than knuckle bumps.

Lol....that discussion was had yesterday. ... I decided it was going to be. A sheet his year. The wife... She wanted the deck. But with the end of summer not too far away, the deck can wait until next spring. It is going to be nice to get all the crap out of the garage that just does not belong here. And it will allow me to get the tractor implements stored out of the way and off the sides of the driveway. I cleared some of the pad site for it today.. It's 96* and humid as all **** today.. Tough to get anything physical done.

/ Decisions decisions
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Thought I would have had more time this week,but the area is cleared and stumped. I need to drop a bit more fill tomorrow and we should get the deck done by Saturday.

/ Decisions decisions
image.jpegimage.jpeg

A few of the stumps that had to be removed. Probably close to the largest I have dug out with the 77.. One was bigger and the Kubota loader was having none of it ...had to put the forks on the Cat to move it.

/ Decisions decisions
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Weather has been brutal hot and today I had some time..and it rained. I have a decent start on it but being my first post and beam.. I definitely under estimated how much work and how heavy 6x6 lumber is.

/ Decisions decisions #9  
How can one spend $6-7k on a deck extension? You planning to hold dances or land aircraft? One thing I have learned about decks...no bigger than what you use. Your initial construction cost is merely the down payment on what will continue to eat money down the road.

/ Decisions decisions
How can one spend $6-7k on a deck extension? You planning to hold dances or land aircraft? One thing I have learned about decks...no bigger than what you use. Your initial construction cost is merely the down payment on what will continue to eat money down the road.

Around here a deck will run 25.00 PSF +\- depending on the materials used. PVC railings and mahogany decking add up fast.