Crud: litter of raccoons

/ Crud: litter of raccoons #1  

Boondox

Elite Member
Tractor
Deere 4044R cab, Kubota KX-121-3S
My only neighbor, who just had her first child and thinks anything little is beautiful, had a raccoon give birth to a litter in a hollow maple just over the property line on her side. She thinks they're cute and shows them off to all who come to visit her new baby. The problem is I've never had a flock of chickens last long with a coon in the vicinity, and none of my dogs have gotten away unscathed after mixing it up with a coon. So while I'll admit they're cute, I really hate the damned things.

I really don't see any options other than waiting for them to attack something on my property, or to catch them raiding the sheep feed. But based on all my previous experiences with the critters, I'm pretty sure I'll find myself in the position of dealing with them. Preferably in a way the neighbor never notices.

/ Crud: litter of raccoons #2  
I understand your problem but it's a 'six of one, half a dozen of the other' situation. I mean that either way the critters were going to be born (next door or in the forest), it's just that the young can be dealt with now as opposed to later when they're mature and causing damage on their own.

My problem is feral rabbits &, primarily, the bloody holes/warrens that they dig which are a dangerous hazard to my horses. As 'cute' as a bunch of baby-bunnies are, if you can find the nursery it's best to deal with them immediately.

/ Crud: litter of raccoons #4  
Put a raccoon trap as near the tree on your property as you can and catch the mother. The babies will die out on their own.

Good idea! And, if you can, place where the neighbour won't know it's there in order to 'keep the peace' between the two of you.

Mind you, this may lead to your neighbour taking the orphaned critters 'in'. :confused3:

/ Crud: litter of raccoons #5  
You might want to educate your neighbor on the hazards of raccoon roundworm and other zoonotic diseases they carry ... and particularly the unique hazards they pose to human infants.

She might just have a change of heart.

/ Crud: litter of raccoons #7  
Wow! The neighbor needs to be educated, and soon, of the dangers of infants, infectious diseases and wild animals. If she is really concerned about her new infant - I would think she would appreciate this advice. Perhaps, start a discussion with her husband and see where that tracks.

/ Crud: litter of raccoons #8  
So sad an owl snatched up the whole family, but that's Mother Nature for you.

That would be my story and I'd stick to it....

/ Crud: litter of raccoons
Well, the problem was solved by the neighbor. She brought so many friends and relatives to check out the cute raccoons that Momma Coon felt pressured and moved out. Two nights later they broke into our other neighbor's house (quarter mile across a meadow). His dog raised the alarm. There were no survivors among the Coon family. Today I'll be helping my neighbor repair the shotgun damage to his walls and floors.