Portable Generators

/ Portable Generators #1  

Pettrix

Platinum Member
Looking to get a portable gas generator, around 8,000 - 10,000 watt generator output. This will be to operate the well water pump during construction and some power tools. It will later be used as a backup power in case the main electric power goes out.

Been looking at Generac and Honda.

Generac XP8000E (clean power design for sensitive electronic equipment) - $2,400
NorthStar Honda - $2,300

Any other ideas, comments or recommendations?

/ Portable Generators #2  
I have a Generac 17,500 KW that works real well for me. I have an emergency panel (100A) that feeds all but the 240V loads. They are on sale often. Somebody (not sure who) just had them for $2600. I paid 2700 at Home Depot using my 10% military discount. My electronic stuff works just fine on it.

Ron

/ Portable Generators #3  
I've always had Honda generators and they never have failed to start easily. Been here 34+ years and never had to use it during a power outage. I use the generator to run power tools when I'm out & about on the property.

We just happen to have an excellent electric co-op. Longest outage in 34 years has been 26 hours.

/ Portable Generators #5  
Looking to get a portable gas generator, around 8,000 - 10,000 watt generator output.

Generac XP8000E (clean power design for sensitive electronic equipment) - $2,400
NorthStar Honda - $2,300

Is the North Star/Honda a REAL Honda genset, OR is it a North Star generator head with a Honda motor??

To me, there is a difference.

SR

/ Portable Generators #6  
It's a North Star generator head powered by a Honda engine, but you're right, while it may have a good engine, I seriously doubt the generator head would be as good a quality as a Honda manufactured one.

/ Portable Generators #7  
We used a porter cable 5500 for years before it blew its' guts out (backside oil filler cap blew off & dumped all oil) a year or so back during an outage. We replaced it (same day) with a Champion 7000/9000 electric start dual fuel from Costco. Probably 30 - 50 hours on it so far & no problems (only run on gas so far, haven't done LP). During outages it has supported 1 freezer, 2 refrigerators, 1 fridge/freezer, well pump, heat pump water heater, micro-wave, coffee maker, overhead fans, TV/Dish/, computers, etc. It has been fine with the TrippLite UPS units we use (they see it as good power) and the wave form seen on a 'scope looks pretty clean to me. No problems for any equipment so far.

Regular price is $799, bought it while on sale ($200 off). Has the usual side connectors (one 240v 30A twist lock, 2 dual 120v GFCI outlets each w/20A breaker plus a 120v 30A L5-30R). Comes with a 25' 240v twist lock extension cord that terminates in 2 dual outlets, each with its own 20A circuit breaker, the hose/regulator needed for a propane tank connection, and a wall wart battery tender.

Nick

/ Portable Generators #8  
Looking to get a portable gas generator, around 8,000 - 10,000 watt generator output. This will be to operate the well water pump during construction and some power tools. It will later be used as a backup power in case the main electric power goes out.

NorthStar Honda - $2,300

We've had good luck with the DuroMax 10000Watt which often sells for < $700.
Sodo had a thread on it in Welding about a year ago.

If you can get three for the price of the ones you mentioned you would have two backups :)

/ Portable Generators #9  
I can't remeber what I paid for mine its something like a 6500 running watts and 8000 surge. It was less than a $1000. Its not going to have the clean power a high quality one will have but do you really need clean power to run sensitive stuff?