Canning with a turkey fryer

/ Canning with a turkey fryer #1  

David Wayne

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
Anyone use the burner from a turkey deep fryer for the pressure canner? We have had a smooth top stove for 4-5 years now and they are about the most
inefficient way to boil water let alone to can on. I have a fryer with a large pot we use for cooking beets, tomatoes, and corn prior to processing.
I am thinking of using it for the canner.

/ Canning with a turkey fryer #2  
That only works,,, if you use the shooting bench as your table!!

2012-08-03%2013.47.37%20%28800x530%29_zps791b4a5e.jpg

:thumbsup:

/ Canning with a turkey fryer #3  
That's all I use in fact that's what I bought the fryer for. Never been a turkey near it. be careful that thing puts out a lot of heat. Lots more than needed to make a little steam.

/ Canning with a turkey fryer
Thanks, I thought it would be better than the stove. As for the shooting bench I just shoot from the deck rail so it will have to do. lol

/ Canning with a turkey fryer #5  
We use one when canning with the tall All American 941 canner. Stove isn't the problem, clearing the hood over the stove is the problem.....canner is double stack high, and you can't get the jars in for the hood.

ry%3D400

Also use it to scald broiler chickens prior to plucking. Never have deep fried a turkey in it.

ry%3D480

/ Canning with a turkey fryer #6  
I had considered doing just this then planned on a covered outdoor kitchen with LP range, refrigerator, sinks and prep area. I do like the turkey fryer idea though.

/ Canning with a turkey fryer #7  
We have used a turkey fryer burner since getting our smooth top cook top. Gets the heat outside too.

Walt Conner

/ Canning with a turkey fryer #8  
Sounds like a great idea. Think about it...turkey fryers have to be able to get above 350F and water boils at 212F. Without researching, is there some way to coat the pressure cooker for the inevitable soot?

/ Canning with a turkey fryer #9  
we always set up a pair of fish cookers / turkey fryers and two pressure cookers when canning deer --but we use the portable shooting bench in the garage in the winter.

/ Canning with a turkey fryer #10  
Why not use and electric induction burner with a ferrous bottom canner? Maximum efficiency and least wasted heat. They are cheap nowadays and work great.