Burning Brush

/ Burning Brush #1  

HillStreet

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650HST. Kubota Z125S
We may get some rain in the next few days so I may burn some of my brush piles. The piles are dry, stacked since fall. My question is how should I light the piles? The actual brush is small with some larger limbs 4 inch or so. One pile is about 16 feet long, 6 feet wide, and 5 feet high. I have good clearance and will have a hose out there, and will have a permit.

/ Burning Brush #3  
A roll of toilet tissue dipped in diesel works for me in getting a brush pile lit.

Steve

/ Burning Brush
That's a good idea, thanks Jeff. By the way, will it light if I try to do that in a light rain. Or should I tarp it before it rains?

/ Burning Brush
Good idea, I have the stuff.

/ Burning Brush #6  
I start my piles by using what I start my fireplace fires with; little wood chips soaked in a diesel. Throw a handful in it and light with a small torch.

I would just start in one spot and watch it. It shouldn't get that big. You can always start on the other side also if you get bored. I always push the pile together with the tractor bucket as it starts burning down. The garden hose is a good safety feature in case you think it is getting to hot.

If you push burning coals to the center make sure you have a plan in case your tractor kills and can't get it started. :eek::eek::D It is a Kubota you know.

/ Burning Brush #7  
Never approach a flaming burn pile in HST/High. It is too easy for pump momentum to push you in a little farther than you anticipate.

Use HST/LOW.

Not only the rain but the pile constituents and per cent of moisture in the pile determine it burn ability.

I would not tarp a pile. Just wait a few more days.

/ Burning Brush #8  
I normally just save some old news papers and crinkle them all up and stuff them in the bottom of the pile, mix a little diesel and old oil together and sprinkle it over and light with a grill lighter.

/ Burning Brush #9  
Wow! Is brush that hard to light? I guess I have been doing it wrong with a little piece of paper and stuff it down inside the pile and in about five minutes I have flames roaring out the top.

The OP lives in Maine which means the brush is probably a lot of pine - that stuff will light quickly and burn hot.

/ Burning Brush #10  
If it's good and dry, I just burn my burnable garbage and that is usually enough.

I grew up throwiing (then cheap) fuel on a fire. We never had a loader to compact a pile and that makes a big difference. Now I use a hand held leaf blower for manipulation.