Bought a Shotgun today.

/ Bought a Shotgun today. #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
My oldest granddaughter is seven, the next three, different moms and dads. My youngest granddaughter is one and there is a grandson on the way in October. Once again, different moms. So I have been shopping for a single shot break open 410 shotgun. I wanted an H&R but they were bought by Remington who promptly shut down that line. So I could not find one. Used to you could buy them for $99 and every single gun shop had several sitting around. I found some at a flea market but they were rusted and priced at $150+. So today I stopped at a Rural King and bought a Rossi single shot, break open, youth model 410 shotgun.

My wife thinks it is a waste of good money.

My daughters were not happy with my plans.

Both sons-in-law think it is great.

Gonna take the oldest out next week. Give her two shells and she has to keep one in a pocket and the other in her hand. The shotgun will be open until she sees a target, then she can load and fire.

I figure that if Hilliarly gets elected the first thing she is gonna do is stop the importation of cheap weapons. So I got one step ahead of her.

RSKY

/ Bought a Shotgun today. #2  
I commend you. Even if they never use a gun for sporting purposes, it is to their benefit to have hands on experience...and knowing gun safety as well as function is always a plus. I probably don't have to tell you this, but the old break opens, even thought they have some inherent safety features, also have one built in feature that requires caution. When closing the barrel, it is possible to get little fingers in the mechanism and cause injury...even to the fingers of an adult...ask me how I know!

/ Bought a Shotgun today. #3  
I am sure this thread will turn into a pi$$ing match like the rest of the threads about guns but GOOD job.Teach them early about guns and how to properly use them safely.

/ Bought a Shotgun today. #4  
Can't beat a break-open single shot for getting down safe practices and understanding the mechanics of a simple, precision machine. I bought my son a single shot H&R 20 gauge to understand the basics before he got his 10/22. A .410 would have been plenty, but he is a big, strong kid.
Disassembly, cleaning and reassembly of the piece will be as educational as any aspect--learning that there is a specific way machines assemble and work properly, specific tools to do the job, and that failing to do so will potentially injure them, and devalue, if not destroy the firearm.
As far as concerned parents go--there's no more dangerous weapons to put in a child's hands than a combination of phone and a motorized vehicle--and those are becoming rites of passage for many.

/ Bought a Shotgun today. #5  
I bought my son an Ithaca single shot 410 for Christmas when he was in first grade. The first time he shot it he didn't have a good grip and the recoil caused the hammer to cut his cheek. It took a while to get him comfortable with it after that. A year or two ago he let his sone shoot it and had the same experience except it cut his nose. Actually my daughter has used the gun more than anyone. However, she didn't like shooting target she wasnted to kill something. She excelled at squirrel hunting.

/ Bought a Shotgun today. #6  
I am sure this thread will turn into a pi$$ing match like the rest of the threads about guns but GOOD job.Teach them early about guns and how to properly use them safely.

I agree. Good job for thinking ahead, and good choice. My first single barrel was a Stevens 16 gauge, but I was a big solid kid.

/ Bought a Shotgun today. #7  
I agree. Good job for thinking ahead, and good choice. My first single barrel was a Stevens 16 gauge, but I was a big solid kid.

I had an old "off brand" 12 gauge break open. My Dad said these "off brand" guns were made for hardware stores by Iver Johnson, H&R, etc. I shot at a duck holding it over my head one handed, and the hammer got me between my thumb and forefinger...and I knew better, or should have known better.

/ Bought a Shotgun today. #8  
We are fortunate to have an old Stevens break-open .410 in perfect condition for our kids to teach their children to use. We iniated our ow kids with .22s. For my oldest I cut the stock down myself, but for the next two we found a Chipmunk and another youth rifle. They have also been used by succeeding grand kids. Not all of our children still shoot, but they know how to do so safely.

/ Bought a Shotgun today. #9  
The first gun I could call mine was an H&R 410 break action. It's the only gun I've sold and wish I hadn't.

/ Bought a Shotgun today. #10  
The first gun I could call mine was an H&R 410 break action. It's the only gun I've sold and wish I hadn't.

I know, don't we all wish we had some of those old guns from our youth. I know I sure do. I sure would like to have that nice Marlin 39a we had as a kid that dad gave $35 for from a Springfield pawn shop.