Social Security - Change in Online Login Security :(

/ Social Security - Change in Online Login Security :( #1  

MarkF48

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2216
If you have online access to your SS account as a retiree you probably got an email about a change in logging into it, now requiring a passcode that you receive as a text message on your cell phone. Kinda wondering if you use the online SS access, are you one that uses texting on your cell much (if your phone even has it). It just seems this method of security won't be too user friendly to a lot of seniors that may have a cell phone, but don't use texting like myself. I'm not even sure how I would access a text on my own phone as I've never used it. I don't access my online SS account often, except to review a few things, but calling up and trying get a real person in a short time is a real pain.
My bank does the passcode thing, but they'll email the passcode if it may be needed for login and that works fine.

Attachments

• ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 116
   / Social Security - Change in Online Login Security :( #2  
Passcodes to a cell phone are usually issued when a user forgets their usual password or it has expired (as in SS logins) after 6 months. This is a new one for me. You should be able to get a simple text on a flip phone. Call your cell provider to find out how, or google it for the brand and model phone you have and the provider.

/ Social Security - Change in Online Login Security :( #3  
I got the same email and my first question was if the email was really from SSA. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Not real happy with them requiring a phone number to text for access... Understand the why but I ain't happy with it.

Later,
Dan

/ Social Security - Change in Online Login Security :(
I got the same email and my first question was if the email was really from SSA. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Not real happy with them requiring a phone number to text for access... Understand the why but I ain't happy with it.

Later,
Dan
Pretty much what I thought when I saw it. Of other sites that I do use that have extra security, the cell phone method has been optional at least for now.
Not sure if the SS site was overloaded this morning, but tried to log in and got a message of sorts, "Try again later" .

/ Social Security - Change in Online Login Security :( #5  
Guys & Gals be very careful about clicking on links in emails. Paypal, Ebay, your bank, SSA. Many time you can hover over the link to see where the link will take you. Always access the site directly - don't clink on a link - be safe out there :dance1:

/ Social Security - Change in Online Login Security :(
This is what the embedded link to login is from the email. Deleted part of it as I don't know if that linked it to me specifically. Even though it looks legit I would likely log in from the SSA site proper rather than through a supplied link in an email.

"https://links.ssa.gov/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTE...(deleted)...JhPSYmJg==&&&100&&&https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/"

/ Social Security - Change in Online Login Security :( #7  
The last paragraph in the e-mail said there are other ways to contact them. I hope that doesn't mean we have to phone in and wait on hold for a long time.

/ Social Security - Change in Online Login Security :( #8  
Guys & Gals be very careful about clicking on links in emails. Paypal, Ebay, your bank, SSA. Many time you can hover over the link to see where the link will take you. Always access the site directly - don't clink on a link - be safe out there :dance1:
While that is excellent advice, this email did not encourage you to login now to try it. It was merely informational.

And it is going to hurt most those who (used to) rely on SSA website access, since they are least likely to have the ability or knowledge to deal with it.

/ Social Security - Change in Online Login Security :( #9  
I do not have text ability with my old cell phone and have NEVER used texting even though my kids have asked me too get an updated phone for awhile now. I guess that I just won't login to SSA anymore and write my congressman about it. If enough people contact their Congress person about it, it WILL change.