Check out my new battery!

/ Check out my new battery! #1  

greenmojo

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4300, John Deere 450C
We were finally ready with the property to install the new battery for the off-grid power system. The plan is to finish out the room in drywall as well as mud/tape, prime and paint. I'll remove the temporary battery bank this weekend, and get it all cleaned out and ready to finish.

IMG_0094.jpg

It's a 1600Ah, 48v battery bank made up of 24 2v cells. It is 5,500 pounds as it sits on the concrete floor. Was a monster to assemble, but I am super stoked.

~Moses

/ Check out my new battery! #2  
Going to be tough getting that under the hood of the Deere ! Are they gel mat ?

/ Check out my new battery! #4  
We were finally ready with the property to install the new battery for the off-grid power system. The plan is to finish out the room in drywall as well as mud/tape, prime and paint. I'll remove the temporary battery bank this weekend, and get it all cleaned out and ready to finish.

View attachment 475979

It's a 1600Ah, 48v battery bank made up of 24 2v cells. It is 5,500 pounds as it sits on the concrete floor. Was a monster to assemble, but I am super stoked.

~Moses

That is about the same size and identical to the one in the last Telephone Central Office I worked in. I bet that cost's a couple of bucks.:)

/ Check out my new battery!
Going to be tough getting that under the hood of the Deere ! Are they gel mat ?

Yes it would! And yes, they are glass matt batteries. One had a small leak (or had leaked at one point) when they arrived, they said it isn't an issue for the short term and are going to ship a new one. No fun to replace one, each cell weighs 222 pounds.

That is about the same size and identical to the one in the last Telephone Central Office I worked in. I bet that cost's a couple of bucks.:)

I ordered them from OutBack Power Systems, but I didn't realize until they arrived that they are very common batteries for high output power storage systems like telecom, etc -- like you mentioned.

We've only had a day or more on them and everything is running smoothly. We have 48 265 watt solar panels, and just finished mounting the first 24 on the first rack. Here is a pic of the rack while we are still working on it.

IMG_0104.jpg

~Moses

/ Check out my new battery! #6  
:shocked: Not your grandfathers watch battery!!!:D

/ Check out my new battery! #7  
Very cool Moses... please continue to post pics of your set up! Curious as to why you are setting up totally off grid... by necessity? BTW... you are near my favorite places to poke around at wineries. Enjoy Red Mountain and Horse Heaven Hills.

/ Check out my new battery!
Very cool Moses... please continue to post pics of your set up! Curious as to why you are setting up totally off grid... by necessity? BTW... you are near my favorite places to poke around at wineries. Enjoy Red Mountain and Horse Heaven Hills.

Power is available, but the local PUD engineer (read salesman) was an arrogant jerk and told me I wasn't capable of designing a power system that would work for what I needed. He told me I'd be back in two years, paying more than what he was quoting to run power to my property.

When complete, I'll have 250 amps of off-grid power and never pay a PUD bill.

This is the first 4 VFX inverters installed and operational, the next 4 go to the right of it (this is in the same room as the battery).

IMG_7801.jpg

I ran ethernet cables from the electrical building to the house, so I have the control interface for the system close by. Makes everything a lot more convenient.

IMG_0109.jpg

As you can see, I still have a few circuits to connect and we are just finishing the mudding/taping, next week we will be priming and painting.

~Moses

/ Check out my new battery! #9  
I'm very jealous!

/ Check out my new battery! #10  
What did the battery cost??