Going barefoot in the cow pasture prevents asthma.

/ Going barefoot in the cow pasture prevents asthma. #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Can house dust explain why Amish protected from asthma? - The Washington Post

That idea stems from new research in two farming-based religious communities that shun modern ways but have dramatically different childhood asthma rates. The goal was to find an explanation for why asthma is so uncommon among Amish communities, where children run barefoot in dairy barns and farm fields, but much higher in the other group.

/ Going barefoot in the cow pasture prevents asthma. #2  
I worked overseas in a third world country for an extended period some time back. Sanitation was not quite up to American standards.

I lived on the local economy, ate their food. Colleagues told me I'd get sick, but I didn't.

Took me a long time to get sick again once I got back. I guess my immune system got a good workout.

/ Going barefoot in the cow pasture prevents asthma. #3  
I've read of other articles of studies that would lead one to think that there is a problem with being too clean. Some indicated that having a pet when the child is young has a positive effect on the immune system, as to make it less reactive to situations that should only elicit a small response to a potential allergen. Just read another that indicated that exposing infants to small amount of peanuts was beneficial as far as not developing an extreme response to peanuts when older.

/ Going barefoot in the cow pasture prevents asthma. #4  
Growing up before my teens, I almost never wore shoes in the summer. I could walk across rocks, gravel, asphalt, cow piles, didn't matter.

/ Going barefoot in the cow pasture prevents asthma. #5  
Growing up before my teens, I almost never wore shoes in the summer. I could walk across rocks, gravel, asphalt, cow piles, didn't matter.

Yes Sir, same here, at 58 i still go barefooted some, i can't run across rocks anymore though:(

/ Going barefoot in the cow pasture prevents asthma. #6  
I would like to see someone walk across a carpet covered with Legos.

/ Going barefoot in the cow pasture prevents asthma. #7  
My mom told the story of a city kid, he was kin to us some how, that was sick all of the time. His family came to visit and the old folks were talking and he was quiet for a bit and they went looking for him. They found him eating out of the slop bucket, food scraps headed for the hogs. After that he was as healthy as anyone. Mom would shake her head and say, he must have gotten something in that slop that he needed. Makes you think. Ed

/ Going barefoot in the cow pasture prevents asthma. #8  
I've read of other articles of studies that would lead one to think that there is a problem with being too clean.

Washing my hands during the day means wiping them on my pants. If there's wood sap involved, I'll scrub dirt into them, then wipe on the pants.:laughing:

/ Going barefoot in the cow pasture prevents asthma. #9  

I'm going on 84, when I was young a game was seeing who could slid the farthest bare footed on gravel.

Walt Conner

/ Going barefoot in the cow pasture prevents asthma. #10  
Barefoot is good in some areas. In other places, well, maybe not so good.

[video]https://www.google.ca/search?q=jiggers&client=safari&hl=en-ca&prmd=ivmn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjK3MyD3KfOAhVI6IMKHV0jDwcQ_AUIBygB&biw=1024&bih=648#imgrc=0obyY3L-U-sA8M%3A[/video]