Skidding a Log Over Wet Area

/ Skidding a Log Over Wet Area #1  

JD5210

Veteran Member
Tractor
5210 MFWD
I am going to help a friend cut down, cut up and split a big oak tree. To get it to an area that we can safely cut it up to wood stove size and split, we will need to cross a wet area and a small creek. Is there a way to keep the log from getting dirt on the bottom making it hard on the chainsaw? We can use the 3 PT to lift it up in the front, but the back end will drag. Or a way from damaging a chain?

I guess we can wait until the ground freezes, but the creek does not freeze up. Plus my friend does not want to wait that long.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

/ Skidding a Log Over Wet Area #2  
Drag it and wash it off. Sometimes I use an axe to chop the worst of the dirt off.

/ Skidding a Log Over Wet Area #3  
1) Find an old sheet of 3/4 plywood and cut a couple of circular holes through 1 end.
2) Lift up one end of your log and slide the plywood under it with the holes toward the center of the log.
3) Wrap a chain around the log and through the holes in the plywood.
4) Lift the other end of the log and use the plywood as a skid to drag it through the mud.

/ Skidding a Log Over Wet Area
Thanks for the responses both are good suggestions.

/ Skidding a Log Over Wet Area #5  
Do you have to move the logs?

A set of bunk wheels under the back of the logs and the front held off the ground by the tractor.

[video]http://www.rockisland.com/~tom/PageMill_Resources/ToolTrkBluOx.gif[/video]

Wouldn't take much to make one from auto salvage parts. Logs can either sit on it or be suspended and chained to the wheels.

/ Skidding a Log Over Wet Area #6  
Here...Cheap and simple

Log%2BDolly.jpg

/ Skidding a Log Over Wet Area #7  
Stone boat or large size car hood might come in handy.

/ Skidding a Log Over Wet Area #8  
How big of an oak log are you talkin'?

The internet says (so it must be true) that Oak has a density of around 45 lb/ cu. ft.

A 2' diameter log is going to weigh about 141 lbs/ linear ft.
A 20' log of this diameter will weigh about 2800 lbs. ( -so make sure you use 3/4" plywood vs 3/8" when you make your bogie wheels. :D)

IMHO - Raise one end of log and tow, sharpen chain as required.

/ Skidding a Log Over Wet Area #9  
Wouldn't take much to make one from auto salvage parts. Logs can either sit on it or be suspended and chained to the wheels.

VW had several variations of this rear axle arrangement. It's already 3/4 of a log carrier arch.

VWaxle.jpg

Bruce

/ Skidding a Log Over Wet Area #10  
I would chain it up, raise it up, drag it and wash it off with a pressure washer or garden hose.