Snake deterrent- help!

/ Snake deterrent- help!
Thanks to all for the various responses, from the serious to the comical... all appreciated!

I too believe this may have been a random, isolated incident, as no further "subjects" have been encountered.

Thinking back, recently prior to the first visitor, we had removed a flower bed next to the house on that side, which could have influenced the small reptile to go further 'inland'.

Personally, I wouldn't care if we took out all the flower beds (weed gardens), as we don't maintain them as the previous owner did. Retired people tend to flowers alot more than parents of 6 kids who both work full time jobs!

/ Snake deterrent- help! #62  
The thumpers that are supposed to discourage gophers and moles are a great way to chase snakes. They do not like vibrations. When a quarry opened up next door, we had quite a plague of rattlesnakes for a while. When the crusher closed down, the snakes all went back into the hills.

/ Snake deterrent- help! #63  
The thumpers that are supposed to discourage gophers and moles are a great way to chase snakes. They do not like vibrations. When a quarry opened up next door, we had quite a plague of rattlesnakes for a while. When the crusher closed down, the snakes all went back into the hills.

Rattlers in Oregon? What part of Oregon?

I remember hearing the western slope doesn't have rattlers, only the eastern slope has the Western Rattler.

/ Snake deterrent- help! #64  
We do have Massasauga Rattlers in the Province of Ontario, but they are very rare, small, aggressive, and not very deadly. In fact, there have been only two fatalities in the history of Ontario, and none in the last 50 years or so. I have never seen one. Pretty safe all around from everything – except cars!

Typo: that was supposed to read NON-aggressive'

/ Snake deterrent- help! #65  
Typo: that was supposed to read NON-aggressive'

We have those around here, but very, very rarely seen. I saw one around 1970 that a neighbor chopped it in half with a shovel (adults killed everything back then), and I saw some at a Boy Scout camp about 40 miles north west of here in the mid 70's. They said there were dozens under some debris that was lifted during a cleanup and they kept some at a nature exhibit for the summer. They are listed as endangered here. A nephew of mine is a herpetologist and has seen them in some undisclosed locations throughout Indiana. They won't say were due to collectors. :rolleyes: