Snake deterrent- help!

/ Snake deterrent- help! #1  

dieselcrawler

Elite Member
Tractor
2013 JD 3005 2001 Kubota BX1800
Oldest boy (15) uses the basement as a bedroom in our 100+ year old farmhouse. He found a small garden snake last night, told his mother, and she's ready to burn the house. Naturally, there's a million cracks and gaps, and many inaccessible to seal up.

Any ideas, repellant that works, or other solutions? A quick Google search revealed that many of the 'solutions' are nothing more than snake oil, (pun intended) and don't actually work.

I walked around the house with a can of spray foam and filled any gap I could find...

/ Snake deterrent- help! #2  
Oldest boy (15) uses the basement as a bedroom in our 100+ year old farmhouse. He found a small garden snake last night, told his mother, and she's ready to burn the house. Naturally, there's a million cracks and gaps, and many inaccessible to seal up.

Any ideas, repellant that works, or other solutions? A quick Google search revealed that many of the 'solutions' are nothing more than snake oil, (pun intended) and don't actually work.

I walked around the house with a can of spray foam and filled any gap I could find...

When I was a kid, that snake would have become a pet. LOL

/ Snake deterrent- help! #4  
This won't help. My brother got up in a hurry and put on his jeans, jumped up in the air and came down with his jeans on the floor. A little blacksnake came out of the in a hurry. I was laughing so hard I couldn't kill it and he was to shocked. It had been on his inner thigh when he had them on. He slept in the camper for the rest of the summer. Ed

/ Snake deterrent- help!
Based on experience, I recommend not telling your wife the next time you find a snake in the house.

Lol... let sleeping dogs lay, right? Until she finds out you 'forgot' to tell her, then it's the same kind of h€[[.

I'm not the one that found it... and when you have 6 kids, word spreads fast, ain't nothing gonna not get told!

/ Snake deterrent- help! #7  
She's right .....torch the house.
Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

/ Snake deterrent- help! #8  
You might find a dog in the house a big help or a cat. We had a golden retriever that had a great nose for live snakes. I could live with dog in house but not a pig but growing up we never found a snake where the hogs were.

Sulfur powder spread on the ground is also suppose to help. Can not prove it but my in-laws believe in it. kt

/ Snake deterrent- help!
I think the dogs moving outside may have had some bearing on it... until recently, we had a jack Russell that was caged indoors, and a small mutt terrier that stayed in the son's basement room, unless either was outside. Due to fleas, they both got moved outside earlier this summer, we still have one indoor only cat. The dogs run loose in the yard most of the day, caged in a shed close to the back door of the house.

The pigs are only coming in the house in one pound packages. I'm looking forward to fresh bacon....

/ Snake deterrent- help! #10  
You might find a dog in the house a big help or a cat. We had a golden retriever that had a great nose for live snakes. I could live with dog in house but not a pig but growing up we never found a snake where the hogs were.

Sulfur powder spread on the ground is also suppose to help. Can not prove it but my in-laws believe in it. kt

Build a hog pen all the way around the house. :D