How to clean *A LOT* of vegetation of a split rail fence?

/ How to clean *A LOT* of vegetation of a split rail fence? #1  

jtfx6552

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4120
Need to clean off about 10-11 years growth, I was going to use a chain saw and cut it all close to the ground, but that seems like it will lead to 10 stems for each one that is there now.

Thought about spraying it with some sort of vegetation killer (not sure what?), and that would take serious sprayer that I don't have. Probably a total length of 2-3000 feet of fence.

/ How to clean *A LOT* of vegetation of a split rail fence? #2  
Need to clean off about 10-11 years growth, I was going to use a chain saw and cut it all close to the ground, but that seems like it will lead to 10 stems for each one that is there now. Thought about spraying it with some sort of vegetation killer (not sure what?), and that would take serious sprayer that I don't have. Probably a total length of 2-3000 feet of fence.
I'd spray. Rent or invest in a battery powered sprayer. Buy a chemical that "makes dirt". Spray and see what the situation is next year. If you have unsightly dead trees then would be the time to cut them short or yank them out. Northern Tools sells a line of tree/brush pullers. Different sizes and some are man peered while the bigger ones hook to a tow bar.

/ How to clean *A LOT* of vegetation of a split rail fence? #3  
Tractor Supply Company sells BARRIER in its ag herbicide section. BARRIER kills vegetation and keeps the ground infertile for one year. BARRIER is made to keep fence lines open.

Keep BARRIER away from trees.

I would make one pass with 2,4-D BRUSH CONTROL which will be more effective at killing existing vegetation but has no residual effect, then a second pass two weeks later, with BARRIER, for the inevitable residuals. BARRIER works best near the ground. That should keep your fence clear for a year.

Herbicides are most effective when target vegetation is growing rapidly. All herbicides are least effective when vegetation is dormant or semi-dormant such as during hot, dry, weather.

STIHL make a high quality, four gallon backpack sprayer with a manual pump. Great unit. Probably the right size for 1/2 mile of fence spraying.

I have not found the battery powered FIMCO sprayers reliable. Either the pumps or the pipe unions give out on me. Plus I like the more directed spray of the manual STIHL backpack sprayer.

Long pants, long sleeves, gloves, hat, safety glasses. Bathe immediately after completing application.

Fill in your TBN PROFILE with your location and tractor type.

Last edited:
   / How to clean *A LOT* of vegetation of a split rail fence?
Thanks! I filled in the profile.

/ How to clean *A LOT* of vegetation of a split rail fence?
I currently don't have horses at the property, some might be coming. How long do I need to keep them away from the sprayed vegitation?

/ How to clean *A LOT* of vegetation of a split rail fence? #6  
Need to clean off about 10-11 years growth, I was going to use a chain saw and cut it all close to the ground, but that seems like it will lead to 10 stems for each one that is there now.

Thought about spraying it with some sort of vegetation killer (not sure what?), and that would take serious sprayer that I don't have. Probably a total length of 2-3000 feet of fence.

We have a pro series combi system from Shihl. The brush cutter is like a circular saw blade. We have the chainsaw with the extension so we can reach high up into trees to trim. Just don't forget, you have to do something with the debris you cut down. The worst part of the project is not actually the brush cutting, it is bending over and picking up the cut branches, hauling them to a burn pile and safely burning. Whenever my husband burns he always puts the sprayer tank on the back of the 3PH and has it filled with water. Kind of a farmers fire truck I guess.

When we bought our farm the trees were overgrown, it took us about 5 years worth of pruning to cut them down to size. In this period of time we had a LOT of branches. What we did is use a tarp, throw the branches on a tarp and use the tractor to pull the tarp to the burn pile. Of course 90 degree turns to the burning area are not advisable :D

You have not indicated in detail what you need to clear, how big around is the growth? Is it 2" in diameter? If so and you kill it with herbicide now you have that dead bush/tree, it doesn't magically disintegrate simply because it is dead. This is perhaps why cutting, raking off the debris and burning is a better option depending on what the growth is.

/ How to clean *A LOT* of vegetation of a split rail fence? #8  

I've found that if I cut woody growth down low, to prevent stems from re-sprouting from the cut, put some brush killer in a dish detergent bottle (like a Dawn bottle), and douse the bark ring around the cut off stump as soon as its cut. Seems to work pretty well. :thumbsup: The dish detergent bottle with the pop-up-down type spout makes it easy to direct the stream and to open and close with gloves on.

/ How to clean *A LOT* of vegetation of a split rail fence? #9  
I've found that if I cut woody growth down low, to prevent stems from re-sprouting from the cut, put some brush killer in a dish detergent bottle (like a Dawn bottle), and douse the bark ring around the cut off stump as soon as its cut. Seems to work pretty well. :thumbsup: The dish detergent bottle with the pop-up-down type spout makes it easy to direct the stream and to open and close with gloves on.

This is called the "cut-stump method." I use 41% glyphosate (undiluted) in a one-gallon pump sprayer (with wand) for that purpose -- I don't have to bend over to spray the stump.

Steve

Last edited:
   / How to clean *A LOT* of vegetation of a split rail fence? #10  
Standpoint has great input and I echo t he generic round up method first because it is the least toxic. In years past, a long time ago I used incredibly nasty stuff that was overkill and not necessary for that application. It is labor intensive, but the key is hitting the freshly cut stem