Time for a new dog

/ Time for a new dog #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
I finally think I'm ready to look for a new dog. I had to put my old yellow lab, Dually, down back in July. We had a wonderful 14.5 years together and he was a great companion in every sense. Dually considered everyone in the neighborhood his "family" and he had a daily ritual to visit each one. I had casually mentioned to a neighbor that the time had come to put him down in the coming days. To my surprise, for a solid day, I had a steady stream of neighbors coming by to visit him and tell stories about his life. Each said he was like their family dog and held a special place in their lives.

One of the stories was pretty funny. Dually was real protective of all the neighbor kids and could usually be found close to where they were playing. We have a neighbor that has two Rottweiler's in a fenced yard. These are some mean, snarling, spit flying dogs if you get too close to their fence. One day the neighbor boy ran close to the fence retrieving a ball and those Rott's came to the fence in full teeth gnashing mode. Dually, who was a pretty big lab at 100lbs saw this and ran to protect the kid. Dually had puffed himself up to twice his size with hair bristling and teeth bared, he got between the kid and the dogs and gave it back to them full force. In the animal world, size matters, so finally the Rott's turned and ran off. Dually, feeling triumphant about warding off the threat and protecting his property, then walked over to the little boy, hiked it and pee'd down the boys pant leg. Solidifying to those dogs that he considered the boy his.

Anyway, I miss my buddy, so I had to delve down memory lane for a bit. It's amazing how much you can grieve a pet. Sooo... I'm ready for a new dog and I think I'm most interested in getting a Black Mouthed Cur puppy. From the one's I've met, they seem like really smart loyal dogs that can learn to do a multitude of things if properly trained. I think one would fit perfectly with our lifestyle. I'm starting to look for breeders and see if I can find any litters coming up.

Anyone else have a cur or know any breeders in North or East TX?

Black Mouthed Cur

/ Time for a new dog #2  
gsganzer, thanks for your post. Memory lane is often painful. And we share your pain.

Both of my little doggies are approaching 14. And just the thought of losing either or both of them is very sad. One can only enjoy the time we have with them. And it appears that your certainly did.

/ Time for a new dog #3  
I know how tough it is to lose a dog. You might want to try Petfinder to see if you can find a good match. I've had good success with it.
Celebrating 2 Years of Pet Adoption - Petfinder

Put in the breed, sex, age, area and distance you're willing to travel etc. and see what happens. A little patience and rechecking helps to get just exactly what you're looking for. You'll typically save a lot of money over going the breeder route. I got a 5 month old pure bred puppy for $400 and that included all the vet stuff, shots and chipping etc. I had to pay twice the normal rate because he was a pure breed but that was less than half what a breeder would have charged without all the vet stuff and chipping. We couldn't be any happier with the dog we have.

/ Time for a new dog #4  
Labs are hard to top. When our Black Lab died during surgery 4 years ago, we replaced her with another breed. The replacement is a great dog, but we still miss the lab! Vic

/ Time for a new dog #5  
gsganzer, can't help on that particular breed, but that's a great story about Dually! Thanks for sharing it. Sorry about your loss. Probably most of us know from personal experience how you feel, and how deep the grief can be. Those critters really get into your heart.

Not just dogs. Wife and I had to say goodbye this past week to our little tabby cat that we got as a stray over 21 yrs ago!

/ Time for a new dog #6  
We had 2 lab mixes..they were my daughters and somehow she moved and they stayed. Finally 2 years later she took them home with her. She has had them more than a year now. About a month ago, she called me because bandit got sick. She said the next day he would not get up and mouth foaming. She said she was taking him to the vet. The vet said she had no clue what was wrong and said they would keep him overnight and do Xray to see what they could find. 30 minutes later she called and said he had been shot with a pellet gun and unfortunately pentetrated his intestine and he was probably not going to make it through the night. He didnt.
Her husband has lived in this small town his whole life and they have gotten to know her as well. When she told me he had been shot I told her to call the police to report it. (These dogs are kids and live indoors.) I didn't think the police could do much but to my surprise they went door to door and found out some kids (right 19,21 are kids?) that moved in 3 doors down 'might' have done it. The officer told them if nobody would tell he 'might' take all 3 to jail. (Mother too). My daughters mother in law boyfriend is a police officer in another town and said they couldnt do that. When she talked to the officer, he laughed and said yeah but they dont know that..next day one of the kids shows up and sold the other one out. Apparently they think they packed up and moved.
At least they can't find them.
That was the last I heard, she was just here and forgot to update. I did tell her to get police report and take them to small claims court...hard to do if you can't find them I guess

Apparently the kid shot at them both when they were out doing their business.

We still have her cat here...so one dog and one cat and told my new son in law after that I'm turning over title of undertaker to him.
Love my backhoe.

/ Time for a new dog #7  
Meet Dakota, a Petfinder adoptable Black Labrador Retriever Dog | Denton, TX
He's not a pure breed but looks mostly black lab. A young male puppy. Figured you'd be looking for another male dog and young but there are lots of females out there too. Right there in Denton too.

Never mind I see you had a yellow lab guess I was thrown off by another post and looked for a black.

Here's a yellow but it's two years old and a little further away in either Tyler or Carthage.
Meet A-Hank, a Petfinder adoptable Yellow Labrador Retriever Dog | Tyler, TX

/ Time for a new dog #8  
I recommend you start here Home Page and find a breeder who is routinely showing dogs and doing health testing. Your breed is not in the akc but is in the ukc. This means there isn't a lot of interest in the breed and finding a good breeder will require more work on your part. They are high drive dogs that will require a lot of exercise and training. Good luck!

/ Time for a new dog #9  
Sorry for your loss, since you had a lab a Boykin Spaniel is similar. Here are pics of my Leda and Jazzy, UKC/HRC SHR titled. I am not familiar with the breed you mentioned but these are great home/hunting companions. Leda=21 pounds, Jazzy 32 pounds,

Boykin Spaniel Dog Breed Information - American Kennel Club

I know of at least two breeders in Texas

John

Attachments

• 1 SHR Leda.jpg
    1 SHR Leda.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Jaz n me SHR1.jpg
    Jaz n me SHR1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 65
   / Time for a new dog #10  
I've had Retrievers all my life, a great all around breed, there's one here now that belongs to my son along with his Blue Heeler, then there's the Border/Heeler from my sons dog & daughter's Border Collie along with the Australian Shepherd that she got.
They all seem to belong to the the wife & me being we're with them more than the kids, go figure.
Of all the dogs i've had & been around, this Aussie has stolen my heart big time, acts like a Retriever, loyal, won't knock a toddler over, goes to work daily with me unless he finds the pond before i leave or my daughter demands a day with him, loves wading streams & fishing, everyone else & actually can be turned off with just a single command.
Dually sounds like a dog we've all had, i'm glad you got to spend that time with him, i know your life is better from the experience & the memories will never cease. I catch myself looking at pics of the dogs that have been in my life, laugh, smile, shed a tear as well & i'm 58 years old. We've always had a dog in the retail store where i manage the Flyshop & encourage other's to bring their dogs in & they do, they'll get hugs, treats, pic taken, chase a ball or soft frisbee & a drink of water, how can you not love a dog.
Sorry for the rambling & i hope all the best in your search for your new best friend.

Ronnie