Applying for jobs and scheduling interviews????

/ Applying for jobs and scheduling interviews???? #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
I get this scenerio quite a lot, and am never sure how to word, or handle it, so I thought I'd run it by the masses and see how you all handle these situations.

For starters, I have a job and I am happy. But could things be better???? I think so, but never know until you "shop around" so to speak.

So, I occasionally apply for jobs that I think "might" be better than where I am at. Now, some of the things look for as an improvement.....
1. Closer commute. I currently drive ~40-45 minutes
2. Pension. I currently have none. But the 401k match, quarterly profit sharing, etc are pretty good.
3. I work 12 hr shifts. I wouldnt have it any other way. Lots of days off, pay is better just based on hours worked, less miles on the car, less babysitter costs, etc. But I am currently on nights and no dayshift opportunity in the near future.
4. Better benefits. Medical etc. Though ours are not horrible by any means, I know alot that are worse, but some are better.
5. Pay. Pay isnt horrible, but there is better out there. For similar jobs in my skilled trade position, Its not uncommon to see anywhere from $16/hr up to $31/hr. I fall somewhere in the middle.

So, may of these jobs I apply for, have very limited descriptions. Just "competitive pay", "medical, vision, and dental", "401k" (but no mention of a match and how much, no indication of pay other than "based on experience", no mention of shift or schedule. (honestly I'd rather work 12hr nights than any 8hr schedule including m-f days)

No big deal. I know they can only put so much in the job description. So I apply, and figure if I get a call I can ask the questions then. And I usually get a call 75% of the time.

What gets me is.....why is the first thing they want to do is bring you in for an interview? Isnt that a big waste of time? of both theirs and mine?

I typically reply something to the effect of....."I am currently working full time, and I am not unhappy at my current position, but I am always looking for opportunities to improve. So before we waste each others time with an interview, I'd like to ask you a few questions to make sure the position you are hiring for truly is an opportunity for improvement, because I dont want to take a step backwards"

Most of the time, they are more than willing, and grateful that I dont want to waste their time interviewing for a job that pays $5/hr less than I am making now, or for a shift that wont work for me, etc. I typically ask about shift for starters. (I dont understand why its so hard to put that in the job description). 2nd or 3rd shift, 8hr days......but we have alot of OT available......that usually ends the conversation right there. But if 1st shift and/or 12hr shifts.....we continue. I inquire if a pension is offered. Not a dealbreaker if not, but if they offer one.....things are looking good. I ask about benefits 401k, etc. Last on my list....is Pay. And most times the answer is always "depends on your experience". So I always counter.....just give me a range. Or what does the top paid guy in this position make? and the lowest? (knowing I'll probably fall somewhere in the upper 25%)

Not many make the cut. Literally, I only interview in about 1 out of every 20 positions I get a call about. I am sorry, you want someone well versed in PLC's with RSlogix 500 and 5000, someone who can run a mill and lathe and whole host of other machine shop equipment, someone who can weld and fabricate, someone who is experienced with hydraulics, pneumatics, plumbing, servos, VFD's, equipment rebuilds, electrical schematics, etc etc etc......and you only want to pay $16-$18/hr. No thanks.....take me off your list and call the next guy please.

But today, I get a call form a company I applied to that had almost no information other than job description and requirements. Wanted to interview me either tomorrow or friday. Neither of which would work for me even if I wanted to. But I start in the same as always and wanted to ask some of these questions before I hire a babysitter, and waste half a day on an interview. The person that called kinda got an attitude as if "how dare I" She just kept saying that "I am just the person that schedules the interviews and I cannot answer any of these questions".....well.....can I please talk to someone that can answer them. Because I have no interest in scheduling an interview until I know basic things, like what shift, benefits, and pay range. She put me on hold and cam back after a few minutes and said.....everyone is out to lunch. I'll go ahead and schedule you for one of these days (tomorrow or friday) and if you dont show up thats okay. So I politely asked her not to schedule an interview yet, and when someone who can answer the questions I asked gets back from lunch have them call me if they are still interested.

So is it just me that does this? Or do people really expect me to go to every interview I get asked to schedule.....without any info about the position? I'd literally be going to 20-30 interviews a year.....for nothing, instead of only 1-2 promising leads. Is it so wrong to screen the prospective interviews like this? Just the same way companies pre-screen candidates. The better ones schedule phone interviews first. I have no issue with that at all. IT takes literally 3-4 minutes for me to find out if the schedule/benefits/pay are gonna be worth a trip in for a face-to-face interview. Why in the world would a company want to waste their time and mine if the job isnt gonna be an improvement over my current job?

/ Applying for jobs and scheduling interviews???? #2  
I think you're very fortunate to be getting these opportunities. When I was "in between" I had two interviews in sixth months...

I would think if you're generating this much interest, then they see something they want. I would be telling them what wage and conditions I was comfortable with.

/ Applying for jobs and scheduling interviews???? #3  
I always put the salary range I am looking for on my application or resume and I rarely get called for an interview! But like you said, it save me time and them time as well.

/ Applying for jobs and scheduling interviews????
I have been in between jobs a couple of times.

Hands down, the application to call ratio is alot better when employed. Easily 65-75% of the jobs I apply for I get a call. Most arent what I am looking for, but never know til they call comes in.

When I was in between, I'd get a call for maybe 1 in 5 if I was lucky.

But even being laid off or un employees.....I have certain standards and criteria. Certain things are a big time deal breaker right off the bat. These hiring managers must think that everyone has endless time and money to do nothing but go to interviews. when unemployeed, you have the time, but not money to waste on gas. When employed, you got the money but lack the time.

I get calls from recruiters or temp services like addecco, acloche, etc etc. Sometimes because they "found" my resume online, other times because I have applied for jobs they are hiring for. They always want me to "come in and fill out an application". Thats even worse than wasting my time for an interview. If its a job that I applied to online and they are calling me wanting me to come in and fill out an application. (What the h3ll did I just fill out online). But on a serious note, e-mail me whatever you need filled out, because I aint coming in.

/ Applying for jobs and scheduling interviews???? #5  
There are certainly niche type jobs out there and very well paying. I knew a guy in his 70s that was asked to come back to Boeing under contract. Very lucrative and rewarding work.

But basically, (I think) most companies just want a reasonably intelligent body to fill a position as cheaply as possible. Long term employees can cost a fortune in severance, and really mess up the department pay scale with all those annual raises. So, a revolving door is best for the bottom line.

I think most companies would also prefer a much dumber team player over a smarter lone wolf.

So really HR doesn't care to meet you. It's not personal. Everything they pretty much want to know is on the application.

Actually, nothing is as it used to be. In Ontario, if a company hires you away from a long time job, and things don't work out. They are liable for the severance for the former job, not just the one with them.

Last edited:
   / Applying for jobs and scheduling interviews???? #6  
The joys of working for someone else. So frustrating.

/ Applying for jobs and scheduling interviews???? #7  
Perhaps you should request a telephone interview to start with when you are unable to match your schedule with theirs. Tell the person who is setting up the interview that the times do not work for you but you are interested in a telephone interview and if things look promising that you would then be interested in a more formal face to face meeting. As you stated, you can usually tell in the first few minutes if the position will be a good fit.

/ Applying for jobs and scheduling interviews???? #8  
I think that most competent, skilled men and women with an excellent work history have on occasion seen what is being discussed here. Being in a bit of a philosophical mood at the moment, I can't resist putting in my two cents worth.

... basically, (I think) most companies just want a reasonably intelligent body to fill a position as cheaply as possible. Long term employees can cost a fortune in severance, and really mess up the department pay scale with all those annual raises. So, a revolving door is best for the bottom line.
I thing there may be some truth in this statement. I know that at the management level there are scads of examples where companies have gotten rid of longer term employees (likely also older) in order to replace them with newer (likely younger) employees because of the salary savings. When sued for age discrimination, the long term "older" employee often loses because it is not illegal to discriminate based on salary. Remember, it is the plaintiff's (the fired employee's) burden to prove that it was age discrimination rather than mere money.​

I think most companies would also prefer a much dumber team player over a smarter lone wolf.
Where does the "smarter team player" fit in this equation?​

So really HR doesn't care to meet you. It's not personal. Everything they pretty much want to know is on the application.
Interesting isn't it that HR, who often knows little or nothing about the actual expertise that the position requires, is the gate keeper and sometimes the final arbiter on who is hired and who is not? I know that this often frustrates managers in the area that is hiring because they may see a "fit" that would be much better than who they ultimately end up with.​

Actually, nothing is as it used to be. In Ontario, if a company hires you away from a long time job, and things don't work out. They are liable for the severance for the former job, not just the one with them.
Well, in the good ol' USA it seems that for better or worse, employers currently hold the upper hand. Certainly there are many who are excellent employers and they often have outstanding and generally content employees and thus profit for it, but there are also many employers who are making decisions purely for the short term benefit of saving a penny.​

So, what to do? Any way to affect those companies that are screwing up and thus screwing with employees or potential employees? I know that long term the pure competition model will weed out some bad practices, but the reality is that many others will survive through various other means. Does a company have any responsibility to their employees other than demanding the most and giving up the least that they can get away with? Does a company that benefits from society's infrastructure owe any responsibility to society as a whole?

Hmmm....

/ Applying for jobs and scheduling interviews????
The joys of working for someone else. So frustrating.

Amen

Perhaps you should request a telephone interview to start with when you are unable to match your schedule with theirs. Tell the person who is setting up the interview that the times do not work for you but you are interested in a telephone interview and if things look promising that you would then be interested in a more formal face to face meeting. As you stated, you can usually tell in the first few minutes if the position will be a good fit.

Thats a good idea. I'll have to try that. Which is basically what I attempt to do with the person setting up the interview on the first phone call

/ Applying for jobs and scheduling interviews???? #10  
Looking for a job is a lot like looking for a woman.

When you have one, they seem to be falling all over you and you can't keep track of the time because it goes so quick. When you don't have one, they can't be found and time sure can drag, particularly if they say they're going to call you.